fifteen: Wake up calls

Frankie's point of view:

"That'll be forty-eight fifty, please." The cashier announces, carefully placing my purchases in the large paper bag. I fish her out cash and telling her to keep the change. "Have a good day, ma'am."

I pull my thick, wooly scarf higher around my neck to cover my mouth from the nippy air as I step back outside into the chaotic hussle of the weekend rush. Everyone was in preparation for Christmas, the lights were starting to get hung and shop windows were starting to get decorated. It made me warm inside. While everyone rushed past, I slowly dallied and earned a few inappropriate words from those who were squeezing past on the cramped sidewalk.

With two large bags on my arm, I scramble quickly for my ringing phone that was pushed into the depths of my handbag that was slung over my shoulder. I needed a smaller back, or just a lesson in how to clear things out once in a while. Beneath receipts and empty packets of gum, I retrieve my bag just before it rings off.

Hannah.

"Hi stranger."

Her friendly giggle echos back to me. "How I've missed your voice!" I can't restrain the grin. "I'm so sorry I haven't called! I've been so busy with finals, then Tommy and I went on a little break to Italy and - I'm just so sorry."

"Han, it's fine." I laugh breathlessly at her panic. "I've been pretty busy myself actually. Guess who got a promotion and not just any promotion, looks like the three years in college finally paid off."

"No-freaking-way!" She squeals, letting out a incoherent yelp. "You're a designer now? For who?"

I giggle as my cheeks redden with heat and not the bitter coldness. "At JD's."

"Wait, are you not the receptionist there? How on earth did you bagged a promotion like that!"

I itched to tell her the real reason. How I found myself in this predicament. How that aside from a receptionist job, I managed to stumble into my bosses love live and I'm now teaching him how to fall in love with the right women. But I promised Jason. We promised each other not to speak about our deal to anyone, to avoid any awkwardness if our plan took the wrong turn.

"It's a long story." I shortened. "But I got promoted, and now I'm currently transforming Jas- Mr Hayes office while he's on a business meeting."

She whistles mockingly as I weave through the traffic on bodies. "Look at you, Miss big shot!" I roll my eyes at her teasing tone. "I'm so happy for you tho, Frank. You deserve this, you worked hard enough."

"Tell me about it." I grumble. "Anyway, what's with the sudden call? Everything's okay, isn't it?"

"Oh!" She yelps excitedly, a sudden crack in her voice at the risen decibel. "Well, actually I wanted to let you know that Tommy and I are both coming home for Christmas this year!"

Living in California for the almost five gruelling years, and Tommy having residency in the City of Angels all his life, the two of them had resided there for the holiday seasons for the past lot of years. Hannah's parents were my own parents, best friends. They too, grew up together in the small neighbourhood that we both did. But after Hannah's father had a knee replacement, he wasn't confident enough to travel to LA at Christmas which resorted in the pair of them checking in to the Plaza over the Christmas period.

"You are?"

"Finally!" She giggled loudly. "Tommy decided it. He suggested that we had a change of scenery for the holidays this year, plus we haven't seen you in forever! I miss you."

My feet absentmindedly started routing back to JD Headquarters after a small shopping spree for last minute pieces for Jason's newly improved office. While I was gut-wrenchingly sick with nerves, the bubbles of excitement stirred within me. He and David were due back tomorrow mid-morning and there was no denying that I was partially excited for his arrival to not only see my hard work in the three days he's been gone, but just to have his presence back again.