twenty-eight: Jillian

Frankie's point of view:

"Jillian?"

My brain couldn't process this. Jillian, the receptionist on Jason and David's floor. The woman who lived in my apartment block for two years. The woman I passed multiple times a day and never even spoke a word too. The woman who doesn't know me and visa versa. She broke into my apartment and trashed my home.

I blink furiously and shake my head slightly. "How? I-I don't understand?"

Jason fingers clench his forehead. "They found fingerprints. The officers are on their way in now to speak to you about it, too see if you want to press charges against her."

My throat was burning with bile, my morning toast threatening to spew across the white carpet. Knowing someone poked through my personal items in my safe haven was bad enough, but knowing that I was in close contact with the person for a number of months, made things worse. David mutters for me to sit down, the paleness in my face making his brows knit with worry. Jason passed David, murmuring something incoherent into his ear and nodding firmly.

"Frankie, I'll be back in a minute." David tells me, sending a small and saddened smile before making a swift exit and leaving Jason and I alone. He hovers near his desk, taking a few seconds before he approaches me. He tugs his trouser legs and crouches in front of me, hovering his hand nervously before settling it on my knee.

"Frankie?" He mutters quietly. "Are you okay?"

"We've never really spoke before." I tell him. "Why did she do it?"

"I don't know." He sighs. "I really don't, but I promise you; I'm going to find out."

Even in a situation where my head was reeling over the newfound information, the simple gesture of the small and soothing circles he was tracing just above my knee was enough to make my heart rate soar.

"Are you okay?" He asks me. His voice holds a overwhelming amount of sensitivity and concern.

"I think so." I tell him. "I just, I don't really understand. Why did she want to break into my apartment? Was it her who put the magazine's that had us on the cover around the whole building?"

"It would make sense." Jason says, his movements not lessening. "But I told you, we're going to find out."

As he finishes speaking, the door knocked and David's head pops through. "Ready?"

Jason's posture tenses and a sudden change of his sensitive demeanor made my stomach flip. His shoulders broadened and his stance became wide with protection as he rose to his feet. I immediately clamber up behind him to peak around his towering frame and watch as David leads Jillian in, her conscience not seeming guilty at all.

"You wanted to see me, sir?" She asks. I take a small step to the side, still being shielded by Jason but far enough for her too see me. That's when realisation hit her hard. Her throat bobs as she gulps hard and no amount of blusher could cover the colour that was sucked away from her face.

"We both did." Jason speaks as David's joins his side, also shielding me in a protective way. "We know what you did, Jillian and I would advise you to start speaking before the officers arrive."

I clench my hands together in attempt to stop the trembling as Jillian's panicked eyes flicker between her two bosses and myself. Her mouth opens to respond but not a sound leaves. I can tell that Jason and David were becoming impatient and their tempers seem to be a growing concern as their breathing deepens.

"Jillian." David barks. "Speak! Why would you do this?"

"I-I didn't mean it!" She cries helplessly, her eyes becoming glazed and her chin wrinkling as she suppressed tears. "I just-I don't know what I was thinking."