FIVE (Iselen POV)

"Oh fuck, no! Not again, please..." I jump out of the bed tripping over a chair that's near the window when I rush to draw back the curtains, the bright sunlight blinds me for some seconds and confirms my worst fear: I overslept again. I look around confused... what happened last night, was it a dream? My clothes aren't waiting for me on my chair and I always pick them out before going to bed and the shirt I was wearing yesterday is on the floor, like I arrived and just took it off carelessly. I'm pretty tidy with my things usually... I get closer to the mirror above my vanity in order to look at my reflection: my lips are swollen, no signs of marks on my neck thanks God but I have dark circles under my eyes despite the fact that I slept enough hours apparently... although I think I tossed and turned nonstop since some of my blankets are on the floor too.

All right... I'm going to accept that what happened last night was real. She must've done something to my brain to force to come here and lay down on the bed because I'm pretty sure otherwise I wouldn't have been able to sleep. Not every day a vampire just shows up in your house and informs you that you'll be her pet from now on without you having any say in that. I feel sick all of a sudden and run to the bathroom although I don't throw up since my stomach is empty: I didn't have enough dinner last night and skip breakfast today. But my stomach keeps turning remembering how I kissed a vampire on her mouth, the very same mouth she used to drink from me, she drank my blood... "Oh God..." I lean over the sink again while feeling a cramp in my stomach, then I splash some water on my face in order to wipe the sweat away and go back my bedroom staggering.

I try to remember what I know about vampires, most of it from terrifying stories my mum told me to make sure that I never went out at night without her permission when I was a child: they drink blood, the can control the fog and wolves, they can turn into crows, they play games with your mind... My dad used to shake his head every time she told me go back home before it got dark till I started having nightmares and he forbade her from speaking about that topic with me again. Vampires were old wives' tales according to him and I had already learnt my lesson, there was no point in scaring the death out of me anymore. I would've liked my mum not to pay attention to him right now so I could've more information.

"She'll kill me," I think scared. "She'll play cat and mouse with me till she's bored and she'll kill me... I need to get out of here..." I open the wardrobe door violently and take a bag where I start shoving clothes not caring about wrinkles. I have to go to the dock and buy a ticket on the first passenger ship ready to leave, I'll write my uncle telling him everything about what has happened while waiting... he'll think I've gone mad probably but I don't care. I must remember to take the money that I saved from the sale of the farm... Wait a minute... I stop suddenly in the middle of the room, I've managed to put on some pants and a shirt but I'm still barefoot... it occurred to me that... I run and open my office door abruptly, scaring the cat that was sleeping in a corner, but before I can rush downstairs I bump into the person I was looking for leaving his bedroom.

"Juba..." the guard looks at me startled and I understand him, I must look like a crazy half-dressed woman with a messy hair. "You worked on the docks, didn't you?"

"Yes, boss. Ten years as a longshoreman..." Yes, I remember that his wide shoulders and strength were the reasons for which I hired him.

"Do you know what time does the tide come in today?" The big guy looks at the ceiling for some seconds before answering firmly.

"It'll be high tide one hour before dark."

"Okay, thank you Juba." He nods before going down to the tavern looking for his lunch and I go back to my bedroom dragging my feet feeling defeated. One hour... it won't be enough, even if the ship leaves Sala in time I'll be too close to the coast line and she'll chase me most likely. I kick the bag on the floor gently while thinking about my options... I wouldn't make it far by land either, roads are a mess covered in mud at this time of year. I'm a good horsewoman but I'd have to stop in order to let the animal rest eventually. A sudden caw from my window startles me and I turn around feeling my heart beating on my throat: there's a crow on the windowsill, its dark feathers shining under the sunlight and its eye is fixed on me through the glass... it doesn't move, grooms its feathers or looks for food... it just stares at me paralyzed and my skin crawls. I swallow hard lowering my head, pick my bag up from the floor and hang my clothes in the wardrobe again holding back a sob.