TWENTY-THREE (Ruby POV)

"I don't think this is a good idea," I mumble watching my queen talking to her employees about the menu they'll serve tonight while I hide in the dark staircase. Since Iselen has found out about other businesses in the city copying her ideas, she's determined to improve hers so her customers won't leave... like I'm going to let that happen instead of manipulating their minds to force them to come here, although that won't be necessary because everybody adores my girl and loves this place. Even so, she's working to offer better food and drinks at a lower price because she wants all kinds of people visiting her tavern and not only the wealthiest, she's bought new drapes for the windows and added more colourful bottles on shelves and now gives small plates of fries with hot sauce for free if they order two or more beers.

She was so excited about her plans while I was monitoring the works at the port that I didn't want to disturb her explaining her details about today's celebration. She knows we're having a formal dinner in the gardens of the palace, the whole Court will join us, but I didn't want her to feel anxious and worried for days and told her that Marad was in charge of finding perfect dress and jewels for her so she could focus on her business. Maybe I should've told her that... but I didn't know how she'd react. What's going to happen tonight is out of the comfort zone of an average human and, even if I've taken steps to make things easier for her, I'll probably have to calm her mind down at some point. I can't help chuckling thinking of how much I've changed, I would've ordered my pet to obey me without complaining a few months ago but that's not the right way to treat my partner and, besides, I've mellowed since I know her somehow and everybody seems more relaxed around me. And the funny thing is that I don't care or I feel weak, quite the contrary in fact.

"Ruby, shall we go?" Iselen stares at me with curiosity and a bit shocked because she's managed to catch me off guard while I was lost in my thought and I nod, guiding her to the back door before walking slowly towards the fortress. It's not completely dark yet and the night is warm... I have to tell her now. "Is something wrong?"

"Mmmm no, it's not bad, babe." I stop in front of the main door and grimace. "Tonight's event is very special... it's a religious ceremony, actually." My girl nods and her facial expression changes from confused to worried, suddenly. Shit... "Our calendar, the ancient Akkadian people's one, it's divided in lunar months like yours but depending on the position of the stars, ceremonies can change their date and this is the right one to celebrate Innana's most important festival..." I point at the sky where the full moon already shines bright turning the night into day.

"And what is your consort supposed to do?" Iselen crosses her arms over her chest and stares at me cautiously. Her body language shows me clearly that she's not happy and doesn't trust me... I'm not offended since she has a good reason to feel this way, of course.

"You only have to wear the dress and jewels Marad is going to pick for you and you'll remain by my side, handing me things Ensi is going to give you. We're making offerings and... maybe a lamb sacrifice. It's disgusting, I know."

"Ruby, I was raised on a farm, I know it's not a beautiful thing to see but I can stand it. Anything else?"

"We'll have dinner in the garden with all my people... We'll drink and have fun."

"It sounds easy, why didn't you tell me before?" My girl walks through the door and greets the guards while I follow her with my head low and cursing in my mind.

"I didn't want you to think about it all the time and get nervous, you've been very busy..." My queen looks back over her shoulder and smiles at me happily. If you only knew, babe... I haven't talked to her about the second part of the ceremony and avoided explaining everything about the 'fun' part. Fortunately, my subjects have agreed to change the etiquette slightly this year given that my queen isn't a vampire yet, human habits are different here in Sala and she's quite shy and has little experience in Court ceremonies. They understand she'd feel awkward doing... Goddess, Iselen is going to freak out.