THIRTY (Ruby POV)

"Do not hurt my aunt..." Iselen mumbles something I don't understand while my hands rush to unbutton her shirt, I need to find out the extent of the damage... although it seems that she's seriously injured, her skin is very pale and she struggles to breathe. I can smell her blood even if the knife keeps most of it inside her body... internal haemorrhage... shit. "Do not hurt my aunt..."

"Calm down, my love, everything is going to be all right... Trust me..." I whisper taking a look at the wound and grimacing when I find out that the knife is buried to the hilt. Damn it! I should've arrived before to the temple but a group of vampire enemies were hiding behind a barricade and I lost vital seconds getting rid of them. I'd never felt so much fear in my entire existence while crows flew above my head begging for my help sent by Marad. I should've guessed that Isin would go after her, that coward jerk would never fight me face to face, and I thought it could be difficult for her sister to defeat him but Shar and Suan were protecting my queen and I knew she'd be fine. Of course, I never expected to find such a chaos: a massive snake shredded into pieces by the claws of a lion and the jaw of a wolf, Marad seriously injured with half of her face ruined, Isin's head near the goddess' altar and the sacrificial knife buried in his chest and my wife dying, shivering with cold and pain.

"Do not hurt my aunt..." I frown, pissed off and bewildered by Iselen's words, and I cradle her pretty face between my hands covered with her own blood.

"I'm not hurting Marad, babe, calm down... Everything will be all right..." My queen shakes her head and opens her mouth again but I stop her putting my index over her lips before turning to look at her aunt. "What the hell is going on here?"

"I beg forgiveness, Your Majesty..." Marad remains sat on the floor near us and tears run down her cheeks while Ebla and Shani come running into the temple followed by some guards and doctors. "Her Highness was seriously injured and I thought she'd die, I didn't know what to do... I didn't know where you were... I gave her... a drop of my own blood hoping that it could keep her alive till you arrived, I'm so sorry, I know it's an unforgivable mistake... I've mixed my essence with yours inside your wife's body... I'm sorry..."

"Do not hurt my..."

"Stop it you both!" I cut off my queen, angrily, and point at her face with my finger. "I'm not going to hurt your aunt..." I move my hand till I'm pointing at Marad. "I know what you've done, I smelled your blood the moment I arrived..." The vampires behind her stop abruptly, shocked when hearing my words, and their eyes travel between my furrowed brow and Marad's ruined face nervously. "You did what you thought it was necessary in order to save my wife's life and she's your only family now... I know a small part of you will live forever inside her body because of that drop of blood but it's okay, I'll let it slide this time since you're the new head of the clan legally now that your brother is dead... A very small clan with only two members: Iselen and you... If my partner were a vampire lady from any of the big families of my race, the essence of the head of her clan would be in her body too since that vampire should be in charge of turning her so... I'm going to take advantage of this legal vacuum to avoid punishing you."

"Thank you, Your Majesty..." the brunette woman sobs relieved and I nod.

"Now Ebla will take care of you, doctors need to realign the bones in your leg and shoulder so they can heal as soon as possible, you also need to drink blood in order to regain strength... Take her to her bedroom and make sure doctors check Suan and Shar too..." Ensi arrives running and shows me his thumbs up which means that we've won the battle and Sala's reconstruction has started already. Some of my vampires are walking through the city erasing from citizens' minds the weirdest memories from today and they leave the idea that they were human pirates the ones who attacked the city.