TWENTY-FIVE (Iselen POV)

"Do you think this is a good idea?" I look around, worried because I've raised my voice too loud, but my employees keep working and ignoring me: the cook and kitchen helper are finishing the dinner dishes, waitresses set tables and Little B brings fresh beer barrels from the cellar helped by Bou. No one seems to have noticed us despite we're standing in the middle of the staircase leading to the bedrooms and my girl is manipulating their minds, probably, so they can't hear us.

We'll open the tavern in a few minutes and everything must be ready for the first customers, the summer is ending and Sala's citizens seem determined to enjoy the last days of good weather going out to have fun every night, we've opened the other door and put some tables under the vine that grows at that side of the façade, that's the reason why I had to hire two more waitresses... Work has been crazy these past weeks and I was very busy, in addition to my studies with Ebla at the fortress' library, I also attended the Court events and managed to find some free time to spend it with my wife and played with Shar in the garden. According to Ruby, it's important for the lion to strengthen his bond with me, the animal grows every day and it's not an awkward cub anymore but a young adult without a mane yet, he's loving and very protective of me but doesn't look especially aggressive despite Innana swore he'd be my bodyguard. He's become friends with Suan and they spend time together when I'm not at the palace.

"Babe, calm down, you're on the verge of a nervous breakdown... I don't even need to read your thoughts to know you're very stressed, I can smell adrenaline in your veins..." The Queen of the Vampires stares at me with concern and puts her arm around my waist forcing me to lean against her body, my muscles get relaxed automatically and I realize I'm exhausted finally. "Iselen, I don't want to get furious at you or force you to do anything you don't want to do..." My back gets tensed again when hearing her quiet tone of voice, the cruel and authoritarian creature I met months ago is always lurking below the surface and I hate her when she appears to scold me. "You wanted to show me that you were able to do your job here and at the Court, that you're a strong and independent woman, refusing to drink my blood too often because of your pride and stubbornness. I understood that proving yourself was important to you and you've done pretty well... I'm impressed... You've worked so hard and showed me you can fulfil your duty even if you're under pressure."

"I can keep working..." I complain angrily but she doesn't let me pull away.

"Stop it! Babe, you don't need to prove me anything. I know your value and my vampires too, your employees adore you and customers are delighted with the treatment they get at your tavern. You're doing great, you've always done great, but now I need you, our people need you... let me help you, please."

"I don't need vampires to do the job of my waitresses, this is my business and I'm responsible for it..." I complain again trying to move away but I know that, no matter how much I struggle, she won't let me go.

"Iselen, don't force me to give you an order, please... I don't want to leave knowing that you'll be angry with me... Please..." The Queen growls frustrated and I realize she's about losing her temper, I swallow hard, scared, and slump my shoulders holding back a sob.

"I feel I'm losing control of my life..." I whisper while my tears soak the dark fabric of her shirt on her shoulder and she hugs me tight against her chest.

"That's not true, you're leaving a phase behind and entering a new one... You need some time to detach from your human life and focus on your duty as the Queen Consort of the vampires completely, that's why things feel so stressful right now but they'll be easier later, I promise. Don't think about it like it's a loss, you're gaining experiences and knowledge that will be valuable in your new life... this is a process. But you need to let me help you..." Her hands cradle my face and her thumbs wipe my tears away from my cheeks, I nod defeated because I can't do anything else. "You're so stubborn and proud... and wonderful..." Ruby chuckles hugging me again and I relax when I understand that the danger is over and she's not angry with me anymore. "If only you could see yourself the way I do, my stunning and pretty Queen, the most perfect woman the goddess could've chosen for me..."