TEN (Iselen POV)

"Who's she?" The silence was too long and it got awkward while we remained sitting on the hard and cold bench so I asked the first question that crossed my mind. Ruby looks at me confused and I point at a wall where a woman wearing fancy clothes is making offerings in front of an altar surrounded by other girls; the carved relief seems really old and it's worn away due to hundreds of years, that's why the woman's face looks blurry. The vampire chuckles while sitting next to me.

"That's me," she answers and I could swear she's blushed slightly.

"Really? That's young Ruby when she was 'alive'?" She nods amused and I stare at the wall intently. "What are you wearing?"

"Let me remember... The crown was made of gold leaves and flowers, I still have it but I don't wear it anymore, it's really fragile and you need long hair to hold it. I also wore a huge necklace made of gold, coral and lapis lazuli beads that covered my chest and a long skirt made of colourful feathers from exotic birds sewn together with gold thread. It was a really beautiful costume but very uncomfortable... it was too heavy."

"But... you only wore the necklace? Your naked breasts could be seen under the beads then..." I mumble surprised.

"It was very hot in my country, I didn't need a shirt, besides I was the High Priestess of the goddess of love, beauty and sex... I wasn't wandering around the temple wearing this dark cape, I can assure you that." She points at her collar and laughs again.

"I understand that but walking around almost naked must've felt odd... I wouldn't dare..."

"You should..." Ruby Rose tilts her head to one side while her eyes rake all over my body and all of a sudden I feel like my coat and all my clothes can't protect me against her lustful look. "If you have a beautiful body, you shouldn't hide it like it's something embarrassing. Unfortunately, Sala is too cold and I've become possessive over the centuries: I think it's better if you keep that show private... for me." The vampire winks at me and I can't help blushing. "Shall we go back to the palace? You're freezing here..." She takes my hands and shoves them in the pocket of her cape, her hot fingers rub my cold skin while we get up and Ruby remains still for some seconds staring at the sculpture of Inanna like she's saying goodbye, or maybe praying, but my eyes are drawn by the pool. It doesn't look that deep because there're only three steps on one side and the water is quiet, reflecting the massive room like a mirror made of silver and jade since the bottom is covered with dark green marble. The torches light sparkling on the surface is mesmerizing me... "Let's go..."

"Okay," I whisper while following her meekly and taking a look at the rest of the carved reliefs on the walls that represent musicians, ladies wearing fancy dresses playing some kind of chess or eating and drinking, warriors wearing leather capes driving chariots, archers shooting... Her friends and neighbours, people she met and talked to her, people who had fun with her but disappeared hundreds of years ago: I don't understand how she can bear to look at them, the will of the Queen of the Vampires is stronger than anyone could have imagined. "You had great fun..." I point with my head at a group of girls dancing with their arms covered in bracelets. Ruby nods quietly but she doesn't speak till we're in the rose garden under the moonlight again, finally clouds and fog have left Sala and the night's clear although a bit cold.

"Of course we did, my father held some legendary parties... we invented beer, you know. Without my people you wouldn't have your business." She winks at me naughtily.

"All right, thank you for inventing beer, Ruby Rose."

"You're welcome," she answers solemnly before bursting into laughing and pulling my arm in order to walk through the backyard garden packed with roses. This time the atmosphere seems less oppressive but it's probably because these rooms aren't that old compared with the temple we just left. Vampires bow their heads respectfully when Ruby gets closer and there're more than I thought: it seems incredible that all those vampires can find preys in one city and no one has noticed it. Suddenly, my companion stops abruptly and shoves me forcing me to sit down on a couch upholstered with blue silk. I look up surprised: we're in a round room panelled with white and golden wood, wide windows alternate with huge mirrors on the walls and the ceiling is painted in blue and golden. A beautiful crystal chandelier lights the room up and it seems warmer because of the hardwood floor instead of cold marble. "Ask me."