TWENTY-SEVEN (Ruby POV)

"And this is the biggest room, there're 40 cots ready, we keep bandages in that cabinet and medicinal herbs over there..."

My wife nods, listening to Marad's explanation attentively while we walk through the old building that has been renovated as a hospital, not far away from her tavern. Some vampires bow their heads respectfully and Iselen stops to talk a few minutes with them about their job here, my subjects smile while my consort pays attention to them. I think my girl has talked to each and everyone of my courtiers and servants these past days and that makes me happy but also makes me uncomfortable. I talk to my Chamberlain and my cousin every day because of my job, with the captain of my guard, Ebla or Marad at least once a week... but I'm pretty sure I haven't talked to some vampires in years despite I see them in audiences or we run into each other through the corridors. I should pay more attention and take an interest in my soldiers or gardeners' jobs, it's been centuries since the last time I visited the kitchen till Iselen asked me where it was in order to meet my chefs and kitchen helpers.

"You're doing a great job," my wife smiles and the room sparkles all of a sudden despite it's getting dark outside and windows have curtains. I can't help remembering a different night under the starry sky, last week, when we had a bath in the fountain and I licked my dessert from her body while she was sitting on the marble edge, drops of water ran down her skin like diamonds while I felt her wet and hot under my tongue. The energy she released with her orgasm almost made the water boil, several rose bushes bloomed at that moment and the goddess laughed delighted in my head. Every time Iselen shatters thanks to my skills I feel powerful and alive. "Ruby, shall we go?"

"Yes, babe." I blink coming back to reality, unfortunately my wife isn't naked and moaning under my body like she was in my mind, but her skin is warm and sweet when I kiss her cheek and I feel peace when I put my arm around her waist to leave the building and walk to her tavern. "Are you hungry?"

"Yes, actually I am. It's a warm night although autumn is coming, obviously, it could be our last opportunity to have dinner outside so I asked my waitresses to set the table under the vine, do you like the idea?"

"It's perfect. My cousin and some friends are having dinner here tonight too, I think..." I whisper looking around, the Frisky Unicorn is starting to get crowded and Little B pours beer mugs nonstop.

"Yes, he's in one of the private dining rooms. Sit down and I'll bring our dinner." Iselen greets her uncle and Dráa who walk through the door along with some businessmen while she goes to the kitchen, I can hear the thoughts of the four men clearly and don't even need to enter their minds: I understand why they're so angry with me, their businesses are losing money and they'll soon lose their fear of the lords and ladies of the city too. There's a high probability that I'll face a riot. Whoever is going to attack us must do it right now or I'll be in trouble. I flop down on my chair, tiredly, but can't help smiling when I see the gorgeous table: these're Iselen's favourite blue earthenware dishes and matching napkins, engraved crystal glasses I gave her as a present, a vase with flowers and two candles. Laia brings me a bottle of young red wine and leaves running to serve other customers.

"It smells heavenly," I whisper when I see my girl coming and carrying a heavy tray.

"Baked sea bass with potatoes and onions, pork chops with rosemary and glazed carrots, ham and cheese quiche and for dessert... the last apricots of this summer cooked with red wine and cinnamon and some vanilla whipped cream."

"Wow... what a banquet. Are we celebrating anything?" I ask surprised putting some fish and quiche in my plate.

"Your generous chefs allowed me to copy some of their recipes, they're a huge success..." Iselen tilts her head to one side pointing at the massive hall where several people are having dinner, her uncle and friends eat enthusiastically and they look more relaxed than when they arrived. "I wanted to ask you something..." I nod before drinking a sip of wine and she pushes a potato around her plate with a fork, shyly. "We've never talked about this before and I don't know if it's right to ask... maybe it's forbidden."