Chapter 7

Monique,
Would you please apologize again to Dante for me and give him this?
James

Dante,
I'm using this name as I respect your privacy.
I am so, so sorry for what I did. I went completely over the line and I promise to never do it again.
If you let me see you again, you can hit me as much as you want with the enclosed toy. The store said the rubber ball on the end allows for deep muscle bruising, leaving a lasting impression for several days.
Please, please punish me hard for what I did. Please, please don't shut me out of your life when we have just found each other again.
HP
12 Grimmauld Place

The toy was a black 12 inch rod with a 2 inch hard rubber ball attached to one end. Harry tucked his note to Draco inside the box, and dropped it off at the brothel.

It was returned a couple days later by Monique, saying Dante refused to accept it.

He sent another letter with another gift, a voucher for a new set of robes with a popular menswear designer.

It was returned as well.

Thinking hard, Harry finally came up with another idea. It took a bit of research, but eventually he dropped the gift off at the brothel. The private note inside said simply:

D-
I will say again that I am sorry, but understand that you cannot forgive me.
I am thankful for the brief time we had together to get to know you a little as the man you are now.
Wishing you all the best,
H
PS: I hope this gift is something that you can enjoy.

...

Harry felt exhausted. He had barely been dragging himself into work each day, and went to bed as soon as he got home.

Ron was giving him concerned looks, bringing him bottles of pumpkin juice and bowls of soup to eat at his desk, like he was sick with the flu.

Harry half-heartedly ate some of it, and pushed the rest away. He had no appetite these days.

Clementine had taken one look at him and cancelled his upcoming event. She was just as bad as Ron, leaving him baskets of muffins in the kitchen.

Ignoring it all, Harry poured himself a large fire whiskey and downed it like a shot. He staggered up to his room, stripped to just his t-shirt and underwear, and crawled into bed.

It had been two weeks since he'd last seen Draco, and a week since he'd sent the last letter. He hadn't heard back about it, and knew it had been a futile last ditch attempt. Draco had made his rules clear from the start, and Harry had broken them.

Nothing seemed to interest Harry right now. He just had no energy. At least his bedroom was dark and the thick covers made a warm cocoon. He drifted along, half-sleeping, trying to think about nothing.

A top-volume screeching noise had Harry jumping out of his bed, heart pounding, wand already in his hand. He grabbed his glasses, and stopped to listen closer to the sound, his shoulders dropping when he identified what it was, but bringing on a different type of tension.

It was one of the wards he had set for anyone trying to get up to this level of the house. Glancing at the clock on the wall, Harry saw it was 8:37 pm, so it definitely couldn't be Clementine. Even when she worked late, she was never here past 7 pm. That meant it was someone else. An intruder.

Throwing on some dress shoes that were lying nearby from his last formal event, Harry crept out into the hallway. The house was dark and quiet, but he could just sense that he wasn't alone.

Wordlessly, he cast a Lumos spell and flicked it upwards to illuminate the whole area. There was the shadow of someone on the staircase, likely trying to get through Harry's wards to attack him in his sleep.