Chapter 23

Harry took a long sip of water as he was introduced, and try to tamp down his nerves. He could do this.

Stepping up to the podium, Harry smiled at the warm reaction he got from the crowd, most people on their feet and applauding. His eyes scanned over everyone, seeing the Weasleys, friends from Hogwarts, friends from work, and many of the richest and most influential people he had come to know somewhat at various charity events in the last decade. Every seat was full, with people dressed in fine dress robes and full length gowns.

"Thank you, thank you...," Harry said, a Sonorus charm making his voice carry easily. "I am very pleased and touched at the wonderful turn out tonight, and I'm eager to share the concept for my new charity with you now."

He glanced down at his notes, trying to keep calm. It had been months since he had given a speech at a gala, and he felt a bit rusty. Plus, being his own cause, he was much more worried about doing well.

"Through my work as an auror, I took a small girl to St. Mungos Hospital." He described how he had found Sera, her horrible condition, and how well she recovered in the next few weeks. "Once it was time for her to leave the hospital, it became obvious that there was a gap in the system. She was a high risk child, who would need long term physical and emotional support to recover, and every program was full.

"Eventually, a placement was found for her and she is doing well. I visit her often and she has gained weight, and is running and playing like any happy girl should," Harry paused, as a smattering of applause broke out.

He continued once it had died down, his eyes finding the table with Tatsuo and many other health care professionals he had come to know. "Unfortunately, Sera is not that unusual. As I followed her case, I saw so many other children facing similar challenges. Those without families entirely, or with families who didn't have the time or money to support them the way they needed.

"I got to know one lovely, smart and caring pediatric nurse, and she told me about a wonderful type of art that her Japanese muggle ancestors started. It is called Kintsugi, and it involves repairing broken pottery with a strong resin mixed with gold powder. The repaired piece is functional again, but also a beautiful piece of art, the damage highlighted by the gold." Harry smiled at Tatsuo, and she returned it, looking flattered by his attention.

He lifted a large bowl, turning it so the bottom faced out to the crowd, and the jagged, gold seams were clearly visible.

"The kids I want this new charity to help are like Kintsugi, so that is what I am naming this charity. It will take a lot of care and attention to help the many children in need to become fully functional adults, but they will be worth it. It will make them stronger, and better prepared to take on other challenges in life. Overcoming so much at a young age will make them valuable, contributing members of our future," Harry said, his nerves falling away, the passion he had for this cause shining through with every word.

The crowd responded to it, surging to their feet with applause and cheers. He was in his stride now, getting them to sit back down and detailing the different phases of the charity, and how they were planning to partner with other non-profits to fill the gaps.

As he got to the end of his speech, Harry was feeling good. His eyes kept moving over the crowd, wanting his words to reach everyone, wanting to connect with them. Wanting them on his side.

His eyes were on a quiet table at the back, a mismatched jumble of people Clementine put together in her seating plan. And there, in a bit of shadow, was Draco.

Harry lost his train of thought, looking down at his speech and fumbling for a second before he carried on. Trying to look normal and just finish the speech strongly, when all he wanted was to look at Draco again. Make sure it was really him.