8. Deadly Silence (EDITED)

Mauuuw.... despite what you guys might think, this chapter isn't about our infamous Potions Master. Nope. You'll find out soon enough who I'm talking about. Now please, comment and vote... that really makes my day.

**************************

Everyone was ecstatic about having Defense Against the Dark Arts with no other than the famous Auror Alastor 'Mad-Eye' Moody.

His reputation preceded him, and by the time came to go to his class, it didn't come as much of a suprise that all the sixth year studemts of both Gryffindor and Ravenclaw had already gathered outside the classroom.

Aurora had heard of the man, since Moody had served with distinction during the first wizarding war, gaining a considerable reputation, as well as losing an eye, leg, and part of his nose while fighting the Dark Arts .  Known for being every bit the eccentric recluse, he had become overly-cautious and paranoid about his security. Given how many cells in Azkaban owed their occupants to his work as an Auror, Aurora wasn't surprised. She'd heard from her contacts at the Ministry that Aurors were granted the power to use the unforgivable curses during the war and in their efforts to round up Death Eaters after its conclusion. As such, she gathered, Moody had killed some of Voldemort's followers, although rumor had it that he never killed if it could be avoided.

When Mad-Eye Moody made his appearance during her first DADA lesson, whispers and muttered comments erupted all around her as he approached the classroom door. He was limping, his wooden prosthesis making a loud clacking noise every time it touched the floor, and his one eye was rolling back and forth in its cavity, seemingly uncontrollable. It was strange, watching one eye, a deep brown and normally shaped, and the other, of an unearthly grey and bigger than the other, out of proportion.

"Come on. Get in" he said as he waved at the classroom door, which opened on its own accord.

The lot of them hurried inside, Fred and George managing to secure the four of them a seat at the table right in front of Professor Moody's desk, both twins sitting down on each side of Aurora as Lee resigned himself to sitting next to Fred.

Everyone was silent, which Aurora figured was a rarity. Classrooms tended to be messy, noisy, and chaotic. She disliked the mandatory presence that was required of her during the classes, but at least the prospect of having an Auror teach the DADA class meant it might become an interesting subject with some real depth and content.  Moody made his way into the classroom, and stood in front of his desk, leaning back against it, his eyes flickering from one person to the other.

"Defense Against the Dark Arts....is a subject most schools teach with a certain amount of trepidation and a healthy dose of apprehension" he finally said "This year, I have been chosen as your teacher, but in my opinion the subject is as undervalued and underrated as they come. After He Who Must Not Be Named disappeared, everyone seems to have forgotten about the fear that was instilled in every witch and wizard back in the day. They have forgotten what it means to be scared. People should know about the things that hide in the darkness. They should know about the terrible curses and spells that can be used against them...."

Lee exchanged a look with Fred and George, the three of them wondering what Moody meant by that. They weren't the only ones. Most students were exchanging confused and even worried glances, unsure as to what to make of the whole situation. Aurora, on the other hand, was listening intensely, leaning forward on the table on her elbows, her head cocked to the side a little bit, an evaluating look on her face.

"But" Mad-Eye Moody continued "Even more important than knowing about them, is knowing how to fight them!"

His last statement left Aurora with little doubt as to the fact that DADA might prove an interesting class indeed in the upcoming academic year. She was unaware of any wizarding schools allowing for the practical demonstration of things such as unforgivable curses, although she did agree with him on the subject of most people choosing to bury their heads in the sand when it came to forgetting their past sufferings as a people. These days all people wanted to do was live their busy little mundane lives without giving a second thought to all the terror and despair, all the grief and loss that had come before them.