17. Being Civil (EDITED)

Aurora didn't see much of either Dominic or Dimitri in the following weeks. With all that was going on about the Triwizard Tournament, it didn't come as a surprise to her that the whole school was in an uproar, especially regarding the Fourth Champion.

From Aurora's understanding of the Triwizard Tournament, it consisted of three tasks designed to test the Champion's courage, intelligence, resourcefulness, and magical ability. These tasks tended to be exceedingly dangerous and differ from year to year. She knew about some of the previous tasks, and also remembered that there had been casualties in previous Tournaments, which had been the main reason for discontinuing the large scale event. Champions would then receive marks in each of the tasks from a panel of judges, usually made up of the headmasters or headmistresses of the competing schools, and under the guidance and supervision of the respective magical authorities and representatives from the Ministry of Magic of the country the tournament was being held in. As a means of entertainment, halfway through the Tournament a ball was held for the students of the schools participating. The yule Ball, held on Christmas Day night, was a traditional part of the Tournament. The Ball usually included a feast, and a formal dance where the Champions and their partners lead the host school in dancing. 

Everyone was talking about the upcoming challenges, and the Ball was a hot topic of conversation among the female population.

The First Task of the Triwizard Tournament would take place on November 24th, and as the day approached rumors started spreading throughout the school like crazy. It was weird, hearing all the things students came up with, and Aurora marveled again at the youthful ingenuity she was witnessing firsthand during her stay at the Wizarding School. One claimed that a Basilisk had been imported and that the champions would have to fight it. Another said that three giants had been brought in and that the champions would have to beat them in combat without using magic. Yet another story claimed something about Hell Hounds from Siria..... and the list went on and on. Aurora had half a mind to head up to the Headmaster's office and ask Albus about it, but she didn't feel like bothering her Godfather with something as trivial as her rising curiosity. She'd just have to wait and see.

However, for those not actively participating in the Triwizard Tournament, this was a school-year like all others, and thus Aurora also had to focus on things like homework and tests. Papers had to be turned in, incantations and spells had to be practiced and potions had to be made. She was happy with the simple and straightforward academic distractions, and threw herself into her schoolwork.

Somehow after the whole incident with Dominic, Severus had become more civil towards her. It was strange, really, to see how he had gone from hating her guts to being civil. He no longer haunted her during the lessons with annoying questions or snappy remarks, and he didn't deduct as much points from her as he had done before. The unconventional truce they seemed to have stricken up seemed to hold, and Aurora' only crimes these days in the eyes of the taciturn Potions Master seemed to consist in being guilty by association by means of her friendship with the Weasley twins. It was something she could live with, and Aurora was more than happy to stop the campaign of silent disobedience she'd measured onto herself up until this point, giving way to some sort of peaceful co-existence with the Potions Professor.  Fred and George speculated wildly about this development, but with all the excitement and trouble surrounding Harry's selection as Hogwarts' second champion, it seemed like Aurora's arrival as newbie had gone from being news to being forgotten. Which didn't bother her at all. Being transferred in your sixth year was very strange, and she could very well do without all the looks and whispers.

The two of them still bickered, of course, and there were times when she just couldn't keep quiet and had to utter some snarky comment, make a sarcastic remark or huff in indignation at Snapes' cold behaviour.  She strongly disapproved of the way he always seemed to be talking down on someone, or just trying to scare students into submission, seemingly just for the hell of it. He was moody, grumpy and usually very cold and detached. His impassive expressions and near-permanent scowl were infuriating to say the least, and the angry glimmer in those onyx eyes was present more often than not. With his intimidating nature and imposing manners he was feared among the students, and listening to the rumors Aurora found out that it was believed that he was a Death Eater. His dark moods and angry outburst were feared, his distant behaviour and hateful glares well-known among the student body. It didn't surprise her in the least to hear derogatory remarks and nicknames such as 'old git' and 'dungeon bat' thrown at him behind his back, which for some obscure reason she also disapproved of. At least, according to her own reasoning, she was willing to take the risk and call him those names to his face. Being hostile and withdrawn seemed like his very personal calling-card, and the disapproving and irritated looks seemed to be patented by no other than the infuriating Potions Master.