Chapter 18

"Handcuff him to something," I ordered as Donnie started to drag the waking officer away. "Make sure that he can't grab at anything."

"What are we going to do when he wakes up?" Donnie asked.

"We're going to interrogate him," I answered. "Once we get more information on what happened to Al, then we can figure out how to get rid of him."

Bracken wasn't paying much attention to us. Pulled out a phone, and started tapping away at the screen. With a quick glance, I could see that he was texting Spikes, saying that the officers had been taken care of.

Thomas sat up, and wiped sweat from the fur on his forehead. "We need to get out of the house," he said with weak authority.

"No, you need to rest," Donnie said, trying to get Thomas to lie back down.

"He's fine," I assured Donnie. "Thomas's neck is back to normal."

"How the hell did that happen?" Donnie exclaimed. "He was shot! He was bleeding all over the place! How is it better after just a few minutes?"

Thomas put his paw upwards to stop Donnie. "Doesn't matter. We need to tell the rest of the team not to come to the house. The neighbors are all probably staring at the house because of the gunshot; we can't have any more people in here. If we're going to complete this mission then we're going to have to head out now, and we can make up a plan as we go."

"Thomas is right," I added. "The cop hasn't identified any of us, and they won't be able to so long as we stay in our anthro forms. If we stay here, then someone will wonder why the cops haven't reported back to the station, or called anything in."

"Okay, so we just leave the cops here to tell a story about animal-people attacking them?" Bracken asked. "That doesn't sound very smart."

"Who's going to believe them? And even if they do, how are they going to identify us? I think the best way to avoid any more trouble is to either get on our way into the city where the evidence is, or scrap the mission."

Bracken looked down at his phone. "Spikes sent us an address. I guess that means she wants us to continue with the mission. She also said that the rest of the anthros aren't coming, including her. Looks like it's just the four of us."

"And the cops?" Donnie asked. "What do we do with them?"

"Leave 'em," Thomas answered getting back onto his feet. "The house is totaled anyway. I have everything I need back at the colony. More cops will show up no matter what we do, so we might as well scram."

"Alright then," Donnie said with more focus. "Let's at least get close to the address before making a plan. Grab anything you need, and let's get the hell out of here!"

"Wait!" the officer yelled as he came to. "You're just going to leave me here?"

Thomas looked surprised that the officer had asked that. "What were you expecting? I just got shot in the neck by your partner! You think I'm just gonna let you walk out of here? Why don't I give you a slice of cake while I'm at it?"

"I finished it," Bracken muttered under his breath.

I watched as Donnie and Bracken put their equipment back on, and as Thomas kept scratching at his neck uncomfortably. Once we were ready to leave, we gave each other way too many nods, and faced the entrance.