Chapter 46

Thomas inhaled through his nose, and emitted a controlled exhale. "Are you shitting me? He spoke to your mind? How the hell is that even possible?" he asked in bewilderment.

"I have no idea," I muttered, staring blankly at the conference table.

I decided to let Thomas in on what happened when I met with Kyle. I told him about how we should be aware that we were being watched. I told Thomas that Talon actually wanted me to kill him. I even told him that Kyle was able to speak to me without using his voice, and how physically painful it was when he did so.

"How's your head?" inquired Thomas. "Does it still hurt?"

I shook my head. "It doesn't hurt right now. My head just feels like its sore...like my brain has bruises all over it."

Thomas dropped his head and muttered, "Sorry to hear that."

Kyle's revelations about Thomas were keeping me from feeling like he genuinely felt sorry. My trust in Thomas was waning away as the night dragged on. I wondered about telling him what Kyle had spoken in my head. For the moment, however, I was wary of him.

Thomas wasn't an idiot, though. He could tell that I was acting differently. Thomas gave me a sympathetic look, and relaxed in his chair. His tail flicked upward, and rested in front of him. With another sigh, Thomas grabbed his pink wormlike tail, and started to tie it in knots...the way he did when he was nervous.

"What did Kyle say to you?" Thomas asked. "When he spoke to you telepathically, what did he tell you?"

I looked back up at Thomas, and met his eyes. With a clenched jaw, I refused to reply.

Thomas reared his head back at my reaction. He brought his lips back into a snarl, and rested his paws onto the conference table. I could tell that he was trying his hardest not to lose control of himself. To be honest, I wasn't making it easy on him.

"So it's going to be like that, huh?" seethed Thomas.

I didn't reply to that one either.

"Really?" Thomas asked with raised eyebrows. "Hank...what could Kyle have told you, to make you lose trust in me? I'm not your enemy."

"Not at this moment, at least," I grumbled back.

Thomas shook his head in disbelief. "Oh give me a break, Hank! Do you really think that I would turn on you? Jesus Christ! You're going to let your psycho brother get in your head?"

"He's already in my head!" I shot back.

"Then get him the hell out!" growled Thomas.

"I can't! I can't do anything about it!" I exclaimed. "When he spoke, there was so much pain! It hurt my head so much! It felt like my head was going to explode! All I could do was listen to what he had to say!"

Thomas curled his paws into fists out of frustration. "You can't let that bastard win, Hank. Don't let him play these mind games with you!"

"Are you even listening to me?" I retorted. "It's not like I have a choice. He decides when he wants me to hear him. He decides how painful it is!"

"There's got to be a way to keep him out of your head," Thomas said. "If he keeps attacking your mind like this, then you'll go mad. You're already starting to lose a little bit of control."

I bared my teeth at Thomas and growled, "Don't you try that shit on me, asshole! Don't make me out to be the bad guy here; like I'm starting to lose my mind or something. I'm not losing control!"