Chapter 35

"I don't get it," Ian muttered as we all got comfortable in the living room. "Why didn't the wolf just kill you? I mean...he had you right where he wanted you!"

              I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't think he wants me dead...yet."

              "It seems, to me, like Hank and The Wolf have a little bit of a history," Thomas added. "Hank's memory loss isn't really helping with that."

              "Whose fault is that?" I grumbled, sinking into the couch.

              Thomas snarled in reply, and started to tie knots with his tail. He always did that when his emotions got the better of him. His tail would end up in knots when he was nervous, angry, or just plain stressed. My guess was that Thomas was experiencing all three.

              "And what the heck was with your paws?" Thomas exclaimed.

              "What about his paws?" asked Avery. "Did something happen to them?"

              I shook my head. "I have no idea. It was like my paws were as hot as coals. We can worry about that later, though. We need to get back into the CIA, and we need to do it tonight."

              "Relax, Hank," Thomas said smoothly. "We've broken into that place two times already. We can do it again."

              "But we don't even know where to start looking?" I grumbled. "We need a name, before we can start rummaging through everyone's offices."

              "Then we go to Talon," Avery assumed. "Talon must know something about the guy. He doesn't look like the kind of anthro that just follows a shadow blindly. He's got to have some dirt on the guy...kind of like insurance."

              Thomas stood up with bit of excitement, and immediately agreed with Avery. "And it's not like Talon has any time to move any of his important documents over to the hotel. They're probably back in his room at the colony. Fifty bucks says that his room that his whole section of the colony is unguarded. I mean, who's going to go back to the caves, when the rest of the anthros are out on the streets."

              "So the colony is just...empty?" Ian asked.

              Thomas nodded, "We can safely assume so. We're not going to drop our guard, however. I'll be damned if I let any of us get caught in those caves."

              "Then let's make it one long round-trip," I added. "As soon as we find something that can lead us to the wolf, then we'll make our way over to Langley. Does that sound like a plan?"

              Everyone, including Lucas and Kit, nodded in unison.

              "Good," I continued. "Thomas, can you work on assigning duties for all of us? That'll include the trip to the CIA. I need to have a little chat with the humans, before we head out."

              Thomas looked at me inquisitively, but eventually nodded, and gathered the rest of the anthros around the couch.

              I waved the two humans over to where I was standing, and beckoned for them to follow me down the hallway and into the nearest bedroom. I stood patiently at the doorway until both Lucas and Kit were inside the room. Then, I quietly closed the door behind me.

              "I have something for the two of you to do while we're gone," I said, while patting down the fur on the back of my neck. "You two obviously won't be able to come with us. It would be too dangerous. Now, Lucas, do you have a smartphone on you?"