Chapter 32

"Let's grab our bags," Thomas said with a sigh of relief. "Finally we're off the damn plane. I felt like we were going to fall right out of the sky."

"Still the safest form of travel," I grumbled.

"I'll get us rental car," Ian added. "You guys sit tight."

We had made it to Baltimore, and needed a way to travel as close as we could to the DC area. We didn't have a problem getting through security because we didn't have any weapons. As for me being a wanted man, I made sure to keep my face transformed slightly. It was hard work, and it took a lot of focus. Thomas had to keep reminding me to keep my transformation in check. Sometimes I'd overdo my nose, and the tip of my nose would get a little too black.

Thomas tapped his foot nervously, which looked a little weird because he usually did that with his large rat hindpaws. He kept his head on a swivel just in case there was any sign of trouble. There could have been anthros in disguise waiting for us at the nearby airports.

I nudged Thomas with my elbow, making him jump a little bit. "We've got numbers if we stumble upon an anthro," I explained.

Thomas shook his head. "I'm not looking for attackers, Hank. I'm looking for runners."

"Huh?" I asked, a little confused.

"I'm looking for anthros that are keeping watch for us. If they run, then they'll let Talon know where we're at. Then, we won't have the numbers," Thomas explained, keeping his eyes on the people walking by us.

Ian returned with a bunch of paperwork, and a couple pairs of car keys. We followed him through the sea of people, until we reached the exit. Once we passed through the exit, Thomas started to relax, and Ian prodded us towards the rental car.

"It's a little small," Thomas grumbled. "I call shotgun."

We all slithered into the car, crunched together. Once Ian heard the clicks from all of the seatbelts, he started the car, and pulled out of the parking lot. It didn't take us long to put some distance between ourselves and the airport. After sitting silently for a few minutes, Ian decided to strike up a little bit of conversation.

"So where are we going to be staying?" Ian asked, in a surprisingly good mood.

"Hank's house," Thomas answered, making me crane my head towards him.

"Why my house? I asked. "Why not yours?"

"My house is too close to the colony, and farther away from the perimeter. Your house is closer to CIA headquarters, as well as the subway station. It's the perfect spot to set up, keep ourselves hidden. Ever since your father died, there hasn't been anyone living there."

Even though Thomas had apologized about what happened to my father, it still angered me that he had mentioned him. I wasn't angry at Thomas, however. I was angrier at myself for allowing myself to be swindled into thinking that he was my enemy. I could have done something to protect my father from his untimely fate. Thomas could sense that my mood had changed, and decided to turn towards his window, and look at the scenery. I took that as his attempt to smooth things over, and rested my head against my seat.

"So," Avery said, darting her eyes between Thomas and I. "How did you two meet? I mean, you two look like you've been friends for years."

"It's not really like that," Thomas started to explain.

"Thomas kidnapped me," I said with a smirk. "I have been smitten with him ever since."

Ian snorted, and started to snicker. "Yeah, I've heard about that kind of stuff! Some people start to form relationships with their kidnappers after some time."