Chapter 3

-5 am, North Korean shore-

Axel killed the engine and let the boat ground itself up on the bank of the shore that they'd driven too in the small dingy. Readjusting his weapons, he motioned for Mir to follow him off the boat and dropped down into the mushy dirt where the water lapped at the shoreline. He was silent as he worked his way into the trees some distance before he knelt down and opened his pack. Pulling from the depths of a bag, Axel spread out a map and one page from the orders he'd been given.

In his other hand he twisted a black rod and light exploded from the end of it. The flashlight he put in his mouth as he gazed at the map for a while and then re-read his orders. After a while, he pulled the light from his mouth and tapped the map, "We're here. We need to be here," he tapped another spot that was quite the distance from where they were.

"The facility is heavily guarded, at least that's what it said in the last report we received about two days ago. There's also a general that is supposed to be coming to see the facility in a few days," Axel sighed, "It'll take us a while to get there, but if we time it right, we can slip in as the general comes to visit. We'll find your sister and break her out. If we can, we'll take out the general. But only if. Any thoughts, Mir?"

Mir didn't have any better suggestions or ideas, so in the he just nodded. “Sounds fine,” he said. “Did it say what facility, though?” It seemed to Mir that it would be something of high importance, if the general himself were to visit it. Either way, it couldn't be anything good if his sister was imprisoned in it. He crouched opposite to Axel, dumping his own backpack onto the ground.

The idea of it made him realize how far and isolated he had been from his family all this time. He didn't mind either option on the general's survival or not, convinced that the successor would be just as menacing. It was like an unending chain. Mir leaned over slightly to study the map, hardly surprised that there was barely any main road leading from where they were to where they needed to be at all. Even during these years that he'd been away, the North hadn't changed at all- Cars themselves were rare, and the only roads built were for the sake of tourist attractions. He realized that the lack of roads might be better in terms of keeping them hidden from guards, too.

"Yes," Axel answered, "It's a military research facility, one that deals with the creation of weapons and high tech specializations. Mostly, we could expect them to be upgrading their targeting systems and creating more powerful missiles. Unfortunately, our orders have nothing to do with sabotage... which I wish we were doing," Axel frowned as he stared at the map. With a sigh he shrugged and pointed to a specific spot of the open area where the facility was to be located, "We'll be going to this part of the military base. It's where the prisoners are kept. If for some reason we cannot get in when the general comes... we'll have to come up with a back up plan. We'll just have to be patient if it comes down to that."

He allowed Mir to study the map for a while longer before he started tucking it away. Taking the boy's shoulder, he eyed him carefully, "Should anything, and I do mean anything, happen and you lose me, I'm ordering you to return here and take the boat back to base. Is that clear? Don't you dare disobey that one. I swear to god I'll come back and haunt your ass if you do."

“Sabotage huh?” Mir chuckled at the idea. People have certainly tried to do so before, though how successful they have been so far was debatable. “Still...” He hardly liked the idea of Rina being in a military facility prison-- Why the hell was she there instead of a normal prison, anyway? He knew the answer without having to really think about it. Oh God... Mir frowned, his expression soon returning to neutral. Perhaps it wasn't that bad after all.

He raised an eyebrow as Axel spoke again. “Oh goody. So if you ever get lost, all I have to do is not return to the base immediately and you'll come back?” Mir returned his hard stare. “Really, though. That's not going to work. If we don't finish this mission successfully with you and my sister back here...” Death stare. “Ugh, just don't consider it.”