Chapter 18

Axel had fallen silent when the phone rang. He lifted an eyebrow as he watched the boy answer it, then narrowed his eyes as Mir didn’t say a word over the line the entire conversation. However, Mir didn’t look all that pleased though and when he hung up the phone, Axel took a step forward, his fingers reaching for his shoulder where he squeezed reassuringly, “Don’t worry, we’ll handle it. So, where are we going?” he asked softly.

“Nowhere,” Mir replied in a matter of fact tone. “The General's secretary is on his way to give me a lift.” He realized that it was a foolish idea that the General would just open all the gates and let him wander into his residence after all, and turned to see the silhouette of an arriving boat in the distance, no more than a small dot for now.

“Fuck,” Axel cursed heavily, the hand that wasn’t on Mir’s shoulder clenched tightly into a fist. His thoughts whirled as he tried to figure a way around this new development. How was he going to figure this one out? Fear shot through him as he glanced down at Mir then out to the water where the arriving boat was coming from. Axel cursed himself for not seeing the plan ahead of time, for not realizing that the General would have assumed just about every move he would make.

A slight tremble took over because for once, Axel was at a loss at what to do. His first thought was to just take Mir and run, but that would only result in the siblings parents being punished for it, or worse -killed. His other thought was to overpower the said secretary and commandeer the boat, but that would also result in the same situation, not to mention Axel wouldn’t know where to go to get to the general.

So, Axel stood there, jaw clenched tightly in rage and kicking himself for being an idiot. He glanced over at Rina and wondered briefly if the secretary had seen all three of them just yet, even though Axel himself couldn’t see who it was on the approaching vessel. He took a chance though, “Rina, get down, hide against the side there. Take my jacket,” he said and pulled the heavy leather off, handing it to her. He wasn’t quite sure where he was going with the idea just yet, but it was a start and better than being at a complete loss.

Looking down at Mir, he shook his head, “I’m sorry…” he said softly and then took a deep breath, “Whatever happens, he can’t turn that launch on. Kill him, if you get the chance to. But don’t get yourself killed either, got it?” he said and offered a very small smile.

“Don't be sorry,” Mir glanced at Axel and smiled back, before turning back to the approaching boat. “I don't suppose there'll be many chances to do so, but I'll definitely kill the General the first one I get.”

It seemed like the boat itself was taunting him with how slowly it moved, yet leaving him unable to run or do anything accountable to alter the turn of events. Out of his peripheral vision, Mir saw Rina do just as Axel asked, crawling towards the spot which would be out of view, and throwing on the leather jacket.

He wrapped his arms around Axel's neck to quickly kiss him, nuzzling against his neck until the boat drew close enough to the dock for him to climb into it. Then, Mir began to walk away with the beckoning of the man on board, black-clad with headsets and all. Like he was dressed to intimidate.

Axel relished the kiss and wished that they had a little bit longer, but the boat soon met the docks and pulled up next to them. Axel held Mir until he pulled away and even then he didn’t want to let him go. His chest grew tight as he watched Mir get on the other vessel with a man dressed all in black. The boat started to move, getting up closer to the one that Axel was going to use a moment ago.

He glowered at the man who steered it with Mir on board. Leaning forward, Axel ground his teeth and did all that he could not to draw his weapon and shoot the asshole. Then, the man threw something at Axel and he startled, catching it mid air. The phone was heavy in his grip and a white paper was sticking out of the closed flip phone. Axel eyed it warily, then glanced back to the man who stared at Axel for a moment before pulling the boat out to deeper water and taking off.