Chapter 17

-Next Day : Afternoon 4:00pm-

Axel stirred slightly, feeling in his limbs starting to return. He took a deep breath, though had to stop from drawing too much breath as a sharp pull in his left side made him cringe, “... Ow…” he hissed slightly and shifted on the cot. His fingers clenched and he felt a warm hand in his own. Axel looked over to where that hand was and noted that Mir was next to him, asleep like he had been last time. Half on the cot and half off of it, fast asleep and looking just as adorable as ever. Axel loved that look, the sleepy one that Mir got when he was just waking up before eating.

A grin spread on his lips as he reached over gingerly with his other hand and ran his fingers lightly through Mir’s dark hair, brushing it off his forehead and sweeping it back only to have the dark strands return to their position again. His hair was soft to the touch. Axel would have stayed there forever if he could. He settled back against the cot, his hand pulling away from Mir’s face to rest across his stomach. Axel’s other hand gently squeezed Mir’s fingers as he lay there.

Glancing around the tent, he spotted Rina sleeping on the other cot. They were both so tired, he didn’t blame them for being knocked out for so long. Speaking of that… how long had he been asleep? Looking around, Axel wasn’t sure exactly what time it was. He sighed, not that it really matters. He glanced over to Mir again and smiled as he watched the boys sleeping face.

A sharp sound cut through the silent tent and Axel startled. Glancing around, he finally realized it was the ring of a phone, one that was coming from one of their bags. Axel started to push himself up, but immediately regretted it as a sharp pain pulsed and he gave a short cry in response. Falling back against the cot, he decided limited movement was best, especially if he didn’t want to ruin Rina’s hard work.

He gently shifted his hand in Mir’s and shook the boys shoulder, “Mir… Get the phone please,” he said softly.

Mir jumped, woken by Axel's soft voice as well as being shaken by the shoulder. Blinking in a half woken state, he stayed in that position for a while, trying to work out where the ringing was coming from. Eventually, he located the small Nokia in his backpack, not that he even remembered bringing one.

He frowned to himself and walked over to answer it. As he pushed down on the green button, he found himself amazed that the caller had bothered to keep calling for as long as it took him, anyway. Then again, if they were even bothered to get him a phone...

“Ah, so you've answered.”

A gruff voice met him on the other end of the line. Was it a prank? An advertisement? Somehow these things didn't come off as possible in Mir's mind. The voice seemed familiar, though vaguely.

Who was it? It took him a while, but Mir finally recognized it as the North Korea's general. He clenched his teeth together, feeling the imminent trouble he was just about to get over the phone. It wasn't like he'd expected everything to go smoothly after running away and becoming a soldier for the other side, but he hadn't expected a private call from the government either. It usually didn't come with anything good.

“Yes.”

“You realize that we have quite a lot to get through... Now where do I start?” The General paused, as if savoring each word. “Let's just say that if you cross me, or even cut the line, your parents will be the ones that suffer.”

Mir's palms began to get slick with sweat. It was already apparent to him that the General was serious; his cold tone was proof enough of that. But the fact that his parents were taken hostage? Mir seethed to himself.