CH-23: Hide And Seek

My first day of high school...actually not as bad as I anticipated. The teachers are nice, the classes are fairly easy, and I'm pretty excited to go back tomorrow!

Enough about me, here's the next chapter!!

***

Maria woke a few hours later, finding that she was laid comfortably on a lounge chair, covered in a thin silk blanket. She sat up quickly, glancing around the room. It looked similar to a regular living room, with a fireplace, a love seat, and a coffee table. The only odd thing about the room was that the stairs leading to it was upside down instead of right side up. 

Twas the norm of Discord. 

Maria swung her legs over the side of the couch, stretching. She remembered the last few moments after the race, shuddering at the thought of what would've happened had Discord not come to her rescue. Her mind brought forth the small detail of him calming her down, blushing slightly at the thought of his fingers running through her hair. 

She shook her head, trying to disregard the memory. "If this keeps happening, I doubt I'll have the heart to leave him," she muttered to herself. 

Her eyes darted towards a door, which was shut firmly. Standing to her feet, the female draconequus approached it. It looked like a simple wooden door with a golden knob. Her hand curled gently around the handle, turning it just so, allowing the door to ease open with an old creak. 

Behind the door was a long hallway, one that she vaguely recalled Discord leading her down when she first arrived. The tour he had given her was quite short, and he only gave her the names of each room. She decided that she'd explore while looking for Discord. 

Her "feet" padded down the halls, soon approaching the first door on her left. It opened silently, and she slipped inside. It was a simple room, complete with a small bed-small compared to her bed, that is, and a simple dresser. Her eyes wandered over every detail of the room, finding it lacking uniqueness. 

Turning, she left the room, shutting the door behind her. She crossed the hallway to the other door, sticking her head in. It, too, lacked pizzazz. Besides the difference in color-the first room had wall painted the color of emeralds, the second colored a pale purple. Maria left that room, traveling down farther to the next room, which didn't have a door parallel to it. Curious, she stepped in, finding it different than the last two. 

The room itself was bigger, even more so than her own bedroom. The walls were a creamy yellow, the curtains an off white. The bed set aside a large amount of space, enough for two people to lay with some elbow room. The window was huge, allowing a breath-taking view of the Everfree Forest. It actually didn't look to bad from this view, nor did it appear frightening or intimidating. It was a simple forest with average trees. The inhabitants; however, were another thing. Not knowing what might lurk around was enough to give Maria a cold shiver down her spine. 

Still, she wondered what the purpose of this room was. Her eyes widened slightly as her mind made a small conclusion: Discord had set aside a bedroom for the two of them if she agreed to stay with him. 

As much as she loved the idea, she fought to remind herself that her focus was on returning home. She had made it partially through the first day without fully falling for him all over again. That left only six more days to survive. 

Honestly, Maria wanted to give up and finally allow herself to live with Discord, but the nagging voice in her head told her that she needed to go back home and relieve the worry of her father. No doubt her mom missed her dearly as well. With newfound courage, she concluded that she had to leave. No matter how much Discord had made her love him, the well-being of her family concerned her.