CH-34: Preparations and Surprises

A/N: Okay, this takes place a while after Chaos and Random were born. About six months or so, I guess. Anyway, this will most likely be the second to last chapter in the book. There will be about a week between the last two chapters, just to keep you on edge before the ending. Oh, there will also be an Epilogue.

Anyways, let's continue, shall we?

***

"Wake up Maria!" somepony yelled, jerking the female draconequus awake. Her head thunked on the glass of the train and she was alert instantly.

"What'd Chaos do this time?!" she asked quickly. She realized that she was still on the train.

Pinkie Pie stood over her, smiling brightly. "Chaos isn't here, you silly filly! Er-would that be 'draconequus'? No, it doesn't rhyme..." she trailed off.Twilight sighed, pulling on Pinkie's curly tail to sit her down. Deep in her thoughts, the pink mare had no clue she was sitting again.

"Are we there yet?" Maria asked, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"Almost," Applejack said. "It'll be 'bout fifteen minutes till we get there,"

"Oh," she yawned.

"You look tired Maria. Have you been getting enough sleep?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Not really. Chaos is more of a troublemaker than his father. And Discord's the only one who can calm him down. That and apple sauce,"

"That reminds me, don't let me forget ta give ya Granny Smith's recipe fer her special apple sauce," Applejack said.

"I probably will," Maria sighed. "Do you all have any idea why Celestia called us to the castle?"

"Why darling, how could you forget?" Rarity asked, appalled.

"Take it easy, sugar cube," the orange cowpony said.

"Princess Celestia wanted us to help prepare for the Gala," Twilight explained. "She said that our designs have become more popular than the usual Gala, so she started to request our help. We decided to take you this year so you can get a break from Random and Chaos,"

"How are they doing? You know, if you don't mind me asking..." Fluttershy spoke up.

"Everypony's doing good. Screwball's tries to be a good older sister, but sometimes she gets into little fights with Random,"

"Ah, just a little sisterly rivalry, is all that is," Apple Jack said. "You should see me an' Apple Bloom when we get started."

"Or Sweetie Belle and I," Rarity said with a flip of her mane.

"It's just what sister's do. But ya gotta let them know that they have ta stick together, no matter what," Apple Jack finished.

Maria felt a smile tug at her lips. "Thanks girls. You know, I'm looking foreward to planning this year's Gala,"

"That's the spirit!" Rainbow cheered. "This party is gonna be awesome!"

"Party?" Pinkie perked.

"Oh no...we got her started..." Twilight sighed.

***

The train pulled into the station just as Pinkie finished with her excited chatter-which was hardly understandable by any pony, and Maria and the Mane 6 left their seats.

"I'm so, so, so excited for this years Grand Galloping Gala!" Pinkie shrieked, bouncing along the road. By this time, all of Canterlot knew about Pinkie Pie and her odd ways, from her Pinkie Sense, to her love of making ponies smile. All the fancy mares and colts simply walked past the group, not even bothering to give a second glance.