Three.

Chapter 3: New Man in Charge

Chapter 3:
New Man in Charge

   The last sunrays of the day kiss the horizon before the orange and pinkish sky turns into a deep blue and purple. The moonlight licks the Earth's surface and the stars watch. Animals scurried along the forest floors, some returning to their homes, and others emerging for a night of fun.

The green trees that stood tall and dressed all year long whisked in the light breeze and the dirt beneath her shoes crunched silently. Her eyes were wide open and her ears were on high alert. She was hunting.

Human blood triggers the thirst in her but it wasn't compelling enough to break her into a frenzy. All she needed was a lick of a poor deer's blood and she'd be alright for another two weeks.

A buck stood just a few steps away from her, eating grass. It moved slowly, lolloping in it's graceful way, grazing as it goes. At the slightest noise it's up on it's hind legs, black eyes staring in more directions than predator animals can. It hasn't seen her yet which was a good thing. Sometimes she liked to watch them before she attacked them. Just because she needed to feed, doesn't mean she couldn't appreciate nature.

She stands up slowly, her presence remaining unknown, before she zoomed into a tree. She was as quiet as a mouse, moving with such agility and strength.

The buck stood still, it knew it wasn't alone. Just a few seconds passed before Hunter leaped off the tree and onto the buck's back. Before it could kick her off, she sank her teeth into it's neck and began to drink it's blood.

The poor animal thrashed around fearfully, the both of them crashing onto the ground. When Hunter had just the right amount, she unlatched herself from the deer and let it scurry away deeper into the forest.

She felt her fangs transition back into her regular teeth and she wiped the blood from her lips, a satisfied smirk forming on her stained lips. Though her victory didn't last as long as she hoped. A deep and rather loud growl leaked around the forest floor. Hunter froze and her eyes widened. It could be a bear or a wolf.

Goosebumps rose all around her body when her eyes lifted and met with glowing golden ones. It wasn't Edward, it wasn't any of the Cullen's. She could see the silhouette so clearly, the jet black fur and the sharp teeth.

A stinging sensation sparked on her arm and she hissed. The wolf emerged from the trees and into the moonlight. It was a lot bigger than she expected and that's when it clicked. This was a werewolf.

Clutching her arm she bent down onto on knee slowly, showing the wolf that she meant no harm. "What are you doing to me?" She whispered, knowing that the stinging in her arm meant something.

Maybe this was one of the guys from the reservation, the Quileute tribe. This was her first time seeing one in person, it made her react differently than she did around vampires.