Ten.

Chapter 10:Bad Blood

Chapter 10:
Bad Blood

   Soft tunes played amongst the hum of the red truck. It moved at a decent pace along the road that stretched around the wide forest. It was a normal day with the usual clouds that covered the blue sky. It was March now which only meant one thing, Hunter's birthday was fast approaching. She would be turning 19 if she wasn't practically dead.

She didn't feel anything for her birthday, only a bit dreadful. But she had a feeling that people in her life would be going all out for her.

Bella noticed Hunter's unusual silence but she assumed it was because they were on their way to the reservation. Bella wanted to see Jacob badly and she figured showing up unannounced would make it harder for him to dodge her.

Bella shut off the radio and silence exploded around the truck. Hunter hasn't said a word to her since they left the house and that was because she was afraid. Everytime she looked at Bella, she saw Edward. It was a parasite called guilt that was slowly eating her away.

The truck slowed down and Hunter's eyes flew open, they were already there. Bella quickly parked and shut the car off before jumping out and practically running to the red house.

Hunter sighed and exited after her at a much slower pace. There were bags underneath her eyes, a gift that her nightmares provided for her. Her bones and muscles felt as if they were made out of anchors, they weighed her down as she trudged through the front lawn of the Black's residence.

Just as she approached the door, Billy opened the door, surprised to see both girls. "Girls," he greeted, though it didn't really seem or feel like one. His wheelchair blocked the entrance and his face told them to go away as politely as he could.

However, Bella wasn't in the mood for these kinds of charades. "I need to see him." Hunter sent Billy a silent apology. She didn't think this would be Bella's plan when she dragged her out of the house. . . again.

Billy looked away from Hunter, "He's not in." He lied. Bella sighed and pulled her hands out of her back pockets, "Okay I'm sorry, I really need to see him." She slipped past him and made her way down the hall.

Hunter pursed her lips, "Sorry Billy, I'll be out here if you need anything." He simply nodded, not sparing her another glance. It was awkward and the reason was obvious. She was basically an intruder, she was violating the treaty.

She walked away and kicked at the dirt as she made her way to the side of the house. Some people would think that being a superior, powerful, immortal species would solve all their problems and sure, it can, but it can also destroy everything and everyone you know.

For Hunter, there was nothing worse than being a vampire, nothing.

She learned how to fight pretty quickly, how to feed, how to resist human blood, how to properly use her gift, she didn't think it'd be as easy as it was but she did it. Maybe it was because she wasn't just an ordinary vampire, maybe it was because the urge to protect rather than kill was stronger. Whatever it was she was grateful that she was as close to normal as she was.