Eleven.

Chapter 11: Cliff's Edge

Chapter 11:
Cliff's Edge

"You okay?" Bella's voice was soothing. It matched the way the warm and damp cloth on her face felt. It was relaxing, a breath of fresh air.

After she fell unconscious in La Push, Jacob carried her all the way back to the truck and took both girls back home, leaving one last assurance that they would have extra protection in case the red-haired devil came back.

Hunter was thankful but she was out of touch. All she could think about was the sound of Bella's blood flowing through her veins. It tasted better than the best tasting thing in the world, the sweetness and the metallic-ness. Though she was both disgusted and amazed with herself, she was happy to be back to normal.

She nodded and slowly moved to sit up, "Better than before." Bella shifted and peeled the blanket off of Hunter's legs, revealing her fully healed ankle. It looked good as new, as if a giant werewolf didn't take a chomp out of her leg.

"Good." Bella muttered. She eyed Hunter's healed skin and grew envious. Obviously she wanted to be a vampire. She didn't want to grow old and die while her friends stayed living for eternity.

Hunter removed the rag off of her forehead. The short silence gave her room to contemplate if she should tell Bella about seeing Edward, about her nightmares. Her heartbeat spiked at the thought. What if Bella wouldn't believe her, what if their friendship would be ruined?

She was sure Bella had probably thousands of questions waiting on the tip of her tounge, same with Jacob. But she was afraid.

Bella's eyes trailed up to Hunter's, the red color nearly giving her a heart attack. But besides the supernatural, she could see Hunter's internal battle. "Who were you screaming at before you- you know."

There it was. The question Hunter knew would come. In that moment when she was screaming at Edward's ghost, she didn't care how crazy she looked. But now it seemed like she had no choice but to tell Bella. Especially since the guilt was building up.

Ignoring the soreness around her eyes, she let them meet Bella's again, "I-" her mouth clamped shut. Looking into Bella's eyes, she saw Edward standing behind in the corner of eye. It was like he alone was preventing her from revealing the truth.

It wasn't like they did anything together behind Bella's back, but it was the fact that she could see Edward. Everywhere she went, he followed. He talked to her, guided her, gave her advice, worried for her. He was in love with her.

That was what her brain kept repeating, "In love". It was making this a million times harder. There was no doubt in her mind, Edward loved Bella more. But it didn't matter as much if he still loved her too, even if it was a little bit.

Bella raised her eyebrows, waiting for her to continue. The pressure was on and it was making her sweat. "I saw my mom." She spoke. It wasn't a lie but it wasn't the truth either. A shaky breath followed and her hands clutched the rag.