Chapter 17

"You beat the eggs like this. It makes the yolk and albumen mix together, thus, making it even. Here, continue with it let me reheat the frying pan." My mum passed me the bowl and whisk and I beat the eggs the way I had seen her just moments ago.

We were currently in the kitchen making omelettes for breakfast. The bacon was ready, so was the coffee—although I still wasn't fit to mix coffee and my medication—we had just brewed at the crack of dawn.

I had told mum during dinner last night that I wanted to learn how to cook so here I stood, beating eggs and acting like a world class chef. This was my first time handling anything in the kitchen therefore, it was a huge deal to me. Mum said I had to settle with the basics for now; how to make pancakes, omelettes, toasts, boil water, coffee, hot chocolate, fresh fruit juice and basically anything eaten for breakfast. It was more than enough progress for me.

"It's evenly mixed now. So, I'm going to pour some into the frying pan. Watch how I do it carefully because you'll handle the rest." I nodded and watched in awe, the eggs in the pan. Mum added some cheese and chives to it without stirring. After a while, she flipped it over to cook on both sides with a grace and elegance that only true chefs could muster

Would I be able to do that? Hope I wouldn't end up messing the omelette?

"Your turn! Make sure you're careful, don't burn the omelettes." Mum cautioned, handing over the spatula to me. I gulped, anxiety written all over my face.

"It's okay! You can do it. You can't fret over making an omelette when you haven't baked a cake, pie, pizza or even intercontinental dishes. Those are considered a tough procedure. Just consider the omelette as a baby dish, Ok?" She patted my back and didn't even wait for my reply before going off to set the table.

I can do this! Omelette, you are a baby dish. How hard can you be?

Well, it seemed the omelette heard what I said and decided to prove to be difficult to make. I burnt the first two and nearly cried. How would dad feel if he saw this? I'd just have to make sure the last four were more presentable and eat the burnt ones myself.

Again, the omelette seemed to hear me and I ended up not burning the remaining four I made—that's if I overlooked the burnt edges—I smiled in triumph.

"What's that amazing smell?" A voice said, scaring the crap out of me. The voice belonged to dad.

"Good morning dad. Did you sleep well?" I greeted as he walked over to me, giving me a peck on my right cheek before grabbing a mug and heading to the coffeemaker to get his early morning coffee. He smelled nice and looked young by the way.

"I did. Did you make those?" He gestured towards the omelettes. I couldn't hide my grin while nodding.

"Wow! My daughter is now a chef. You make me proud everyday!" He beamed at me. Thank God he didn't seem mad that I burnt some of them.

"They are just omelettes dad. It's not like I made sushi or pasta and sauce." I said but I was blushing. I couldn't help myself. This was the start of my cooking career.

"Even if it's just hot water you boiled, I'm still proud of you." He said with a smile showing his perfectly white teeth.

I love my dad! There was no doubt about it.

"Thanks dad. You're the best!" I replied just as mum walked back in. She instructed me to bring the omelettes as well as the bacon and other meals to the table. They both helped me with the process.

"Go call your cousin. I wonder why she isn't down yet." Dad said and I nodded.

"I'm sure she's on Skype with Phillip. Those two can't seem to get enough of each other." Added mum. She was right though; Ana and Phillip were inseparable even with the distance.