Chapter 27

Deciding on the right place to "find love" was befuddling. I had no idea where one went to in order to find the right guy. Initially, I had driven my Range Rover down to Sweet Love restaurant and sat down in one of the booths, looking like a klutz. I had ordered my favorite cappuccino, brewed just the way I liked, while people stared at me like I was an alien from space.

I had no right to blame them because if I were in their shoes, I would be shocked to see someone dressed so fancy and chic, dining in solitude in a low-key restaurant in the evening. Even Marie, the owner, was confused but brightened up when she saw me. She commented on how beautiful and stunning I looked and  how—in her words—"He won't be able to keep his eyes off you". I squirmed when I corrected her that I came alone and not waiting—indirectly—for someone.

She knew something was amiss, so she sat down with me, ordered more coffee for us and talked. I felt quite relieved after recounting all that transpired at home between my parents and I. She listened without a word until I was done.

"I think your parents just want to see you happy and in love again." Were her response, after my narration.

She then expounded on her perception in the matter. Apparently, my parents and everyone else—including her—were worried about me and just wanted me to come out of the shell I had hidden myself in. She advised that it was time to move on. Time to let go.

"But you can't look so gorgeous in this dress and sit here all day. It's Friday and also vacation, you can't find young men here, especially students by this time. I think you should go somewhere else." Marie advised. She had a point. I looked around and was hit with the realization that I was probably the youngest person here, apart from the waitresses. The restaurant comprised of old and middle aged people, some couples, others, friends having fun drinking coffee together.

"Um, where do you suggest I go to?" I finally asked. I had run out of ideas.

"The club is nice. You should go there! Loosen up, have a few drinks, make friends. You don't have to leave there with a confirmed boyfriend but try to make sure you find a potential boyfriend." She said, still in deep thoughts like she was planning the whole process.

I knew of only one club. The one I went to with the girls a few months ago. I haven't had the urge to go back but I guess now was the right time.

"Okay. The girls took me to this club once, I'll just get there using Google." I answered.

"Great! Let me walk you out." As I stood, I opened my clutch, grabbed a twenty dollar bill and was about to place it on my table as payment when Marie stopped me. "No sweetheart, it's on the house." she said.

I hugged her tighter as we got out of the restaurant. She was one of the nicest women I had been blessed to meet.

"Off you go dear. Have fun!" She shooed me when I remained reluctant to leave.

I got into my SUV much later, turned on the air-conditioner—It was summer already—and drove off after a final wave at Marie. Fortunately, I found the club like walk in the park. The bold neon sign read "Fantasy". I rose my brows in at that. Maybe the club itself was giving me a sign.

I had to join the queue, pay, before getting in. By the time I was in, I cringed at how loud the music was. However, it took me a moment to adjust then, I was finally able to blend in. A few guys whistled as I walked past them. I felt an inner eruption of confidence and swung my hips with a conspicuous grin as I neared the bartender.

"What can I get you?" I studied the bartender. He was different from the man I met last time. He looked tired and out of place, I guessed he was a student trying to earn a living. The understanding of that made me promise to give him a generous qtip for my drinks tonight.