Chapter 22

Dear Jason,

Have you ever experienced your life go fast and so slow at the same time?

The past six months have gone by pretty fast. One minute, I was in England for your funeral, the next, I was back in the USA, learning more that have eventually shaped my currently life.

I can drive now, but without a doubt, not a professional. I still have the learner’s sign in front and at the back of my SUV. Maxwell seldom drives me,only when I've got somewhere to go in a haste or when we go to church as a family.

I've begun to learn how to read and write. For now, I hate my handwriting but hope to improve in order to make it legible. I never thought reading could be so much fun until my hands landed on a book titled 'A thousand boy kisses'. I sobbed at the end, which was actually surprising. I take tests and interviews from my optometrist to be sure all is going well with my sight. Fortunately, all is fine! Did I mention that my female optometrist, Doctor Violet Johann is pregnant? She spilled the exciting news about four months ago and I'm so thrilled at the prospect of her finally having the family she always wanted. Thank God!

And yes, my twenty first birthday was a blast! Two months after my visit to England, I turned twenty-one. It was an amazing celebration filled with people I cared about and who had mutual feelings towards me. My parents, Ana, my uncle and his family, Tess, Samantha, Charles, George, Valerie, all my doctors who performed my surgery and their families, Jeremy, some friends I got acquainted with at some point, even my maternal grandparents all came to celebrate with me. It was a full house and I enjoyed every moment, especially the birthday presents (Mum and dad got me a brand new white Bentley! My goodness, now I have two expensive cars!). Furthermore, I had a video call session with your parents and they wished me well. During the call, I was privileged to talk to Foster, his triplets and his wife, Isobel whom he married a few days after the New Year; I am so glad the kids finally have a mother figure in their lives. Undoubtedly, Isobel would make the perfect mother. However, I missed your presence there but I just had to pull myself together and celebrate. After all, I'd only turn twenty-one once.

My love for Sweet Love restaurant doubled over time. Whenever I craved sweets, I head there for their amazing confectionery. I even became close to some employees and Marie, the owner of the restaurant who had given me a lifetime discount. They always talk about you and how often you visited them. They even knew about our relationship and made excessive displays of sentiments over how cute we were as a couple. Whenever I wanted to know a little more about you, especially your love for food, they were ready to give answers.

Anyways, for now, I cannot be deemed as the world's greatest chef but I have become knowledgeable in the area of cooking. Baking is my favorite method of cooking, therefore, I spend most of my time in the kitchen baking cakes, pies, burgers and the likes. I don't believe I can cook well but with so many compliments from my parents and friends, I feel proud. I even baked the Christmas cookies all by myself and was rewarded with an empty bowl and lots of commendations.

Christmas will forever be my favorite time of the year. A season symbolizing love, happiness, liberalism and togetherness. For the first time, I saw snow! I was awestruck as I watched the flakes fall from the sky. Nature had a way of sending a message or warmth. However, I ran back inside the house when my body became numb and my teeth clattered like crazy. I had to take a warm bath immediately but even at that point, I felt at ease. I stared at the snow outside every morning, marveling at how beautiful and different everything looked in it and wished I could just lay down as it covers my little by little until my whole body was buried in it. I had my fair share of outdoor games in the snow. The guys showed up and we made snowballs, throwing them at one another. Also, we built a snowman and named him ‘Frost’. On Christmas Eve, we went on a short ski trip. It was literally rough-and-tumble for me but enjoyable. What about the Christmas decorations? We got an eighteen foot faux-tree from the mall and decorated it with lights, ornaments and with the help of a ladder, I was made to place a star on top of it. All the living rooms and kitchens were decorated as well; so colorful and elegant! We also wrapped gifts which we opened and exchanged at the wee hours of Christmas morning. ‘Joy to the world’ and other Christmas songs from dad's stereo device, filled the house all week.

I also joined a two-week club meeting. It centered on people who had gone through one problem or devastating phase or the other in life and them enlightening us on how they moved on. It was a revitalizing experience and I got to know that I wasn't the only one in pain. Others out there have suffered a great deal than I have therefore, I am grateful for where I am and hope to make the most of life.

I've decided to go back to school, therefore, at the beginning of the next academic session which begins in September, I'll be at the university to take off from where I left off. This is a bittersweet decision because although I'd be able to complete my education, I would do that without the company of my dearest cousin, Ana, as she would be graduating in July. I'll miss hanging out with her at school and having breakfast, lunch and sometimes dinner at Sweet Love restaurant together. Moreover, it's such a relief as Tess would join me as well. Together we shall rule the school!

Eh, that's just a fantasy!

We'd just have to get through the hurdles of extremely boring lectures, difficult assignments, tests, exams, till we eventually graduate.

Then there's the moment when things seem to slow down all of a sudden. Like when I'm in the company of Ana and her beau, Phillip, Tess and Dan, George and Valerie—who would be getting married next month, Yay!—Samantha and Charles, then I remember how single and alone I am. Don't get me wrong, I adore how in love and mushy they always are together but sometimes I just miss what they have. Sometimes I just wish I could be happy with someone like they are. It just sucks being alone all the time. At those moments, I miss you.

Terribly!

But you're never coming back and that still hurts!

Anyways, I know you're watching  over me and smiling with pride at the woman I have become. I am much better than I was six months ago and I promise to be better.

I'll keep writing to you because it brings serendipity and tranquility. I feel that somehow you're reading this and I am content!

Till I write again.

I still love you and that would never change!

Love,
Cassieopia.

PS. I suddenly became famous on Instagram. Well, my mischievous cousin decided to randomly post that video of me, walking in heels and tripping. I've garnered more than a half a million followers. Insane, right? I think my parent's social status has a lot more to do with this.

PPS. I wrote this message myself on a piece of paper, using a pen. So don't mind my handwriting although it's a terrible sight to behold!

Hahaha, love you always!

Hey everyone, Merry Christmas to you all. Hope you remember this season is the season of love, giving, and sharing. Please spread love wherever you go.

Well, I just feel trying to put all these scenes together would make the story too lengthy and it could cause a sort of circumlocution. As a writer and reader, I hate writing or reading stories that beat around the bush. I really do!

Therefore, with the help of Cassie's constant and continuous letter to Jason, I have and will be able to show you all what has happened in her life. This gives way for the story to progress successfully.

I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter?

Please vote, comment, share as and follow me okay? Thank you so much!

PS. Just like Cassie, I also cried when I read the novel "A thousand boy kisses". I was touched so deeply by the end of the story that I had tears in my eyes. It is literally the first and only novel I have cried over. You guys should go check it out and let me know your thoughts on it.

I love you and Merry Christmas once again,

Osaro.