Chapter 29

By the time I woke up, I realised it was already quite early in the evening. The little clock on my bedside table read 5pm. All traces of the hangover had dissipated and I was left refreshed and hungry.

I took a shower, washed my hair and brushed my teeth before retreating towards my closet in nothing but a fluffy white towel. I selected a pair of grey sweatpants and matching sweatshirt from the rack allocated for sweats. I towel dried my hair before scampering out of my room to find something to eat with my iPod and earphones in my pocket.

Where's my phone? I pondered. Since I came home, I hadn't been seen it.

At the kitchen, I found a post-it note on the refrigerator stating words from my dad;

Hope you're better?

I'm out for a meeting. Find something not too light and not too heavy to eat.

PS. Your mother still hasn't agreed to stop moping.

PPS. Love you my little girl.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at the term ‘little girl’. Wasn't he the one who, only few hours ago called me a grown woman? I didn't know one could become little again overnight.

My thoughts wavered as my stomach reminded me of its predicament. What should I make for dinner? I also remembered his comment about mum. She obviously felt guilty even at this point. I thought about those moments mum made sure she brought me breakfast, lunch and dinner the whole time I was mad at them, few days after I left the hospital. Even when I wasn't keen on seeing any of my family and friends, she still left meals she had prepared at the threshold of my room. She had proved countless times that she loved and appreciated me despite having a weird way of showing it.

But she's my mum and I had to do something for her as well,  Now that the case was reversed. I had to figure out something to appease her because, who knew, very soon, these could all be memories left for me to either appreciate or regret in the future.

Ding! I had to make her favorite meal; Chicken curry in a hurry!
Mum usually made this whenever she was too tired to prepare a large family meal. That was her excuse, but in my opinion, it was her favorite meal. How else could you explain her eating it all the time, even when she prepared her so called ‘large family meals’?

I decided to make it! From how often mum prepared it, I had learnt the cooking process and although this would be my first time, I needed to get the perfect taste. The ingredients are rice, chicken breasts, green beans, coconut milk, curry spice amongst others. I began cooking the rice according to Google's direction. In another medium sauce pan, I added about an inch of water and brought it to a boil then proceeded to add green beans and boiled lightly with the lid on for 4-5 minutes before draining.

I heated the olive oil over medium heat in the same saucepan as the green beans were cooked before adding the chicken pieces and sprinkled curry spice and salt over the chicken. Then I sautéed until the chicken was cooked through, 5-8 minutes.

Finally, I added the rice, green beans and coconut milk to the chicken. Heated and stirred, for one or two minutes until it warmed throughout.

All the while, the aroma wafted around the kitchen and I hummed to Young blood by Five Seconds Of Summer through my ear phones while I placed the meal in two plates. One containing a medium amount for mum while the other contained a large portion for yours truly. I also gathered two bottled water.

Seeking to make a grand gesture, I made a pit stop at the cellar for some wine. There happened to be so many brands I could hardly pick. At last, I laid my eyes on Château Cheval Blanc 1947 and fell in love. The alcohol content showed 14.4% and I gasped. Well, mum and I would have to drink responsibly.

Two bottled water, two wine glasses, a bottle of wine and two plates of food and cutlery, piled high on a large tray, I trod on the stairs, head high and shoulders straight like a waitress I once met at a fancy restaurant. I passed my room and marched further down the hallway until I stopped at my parents'.

I pulled out my earphones and placed it securely into my pocket which housed the iPod as well. Taking a deep breath, I knocked solemnly on the door waiting to hear her call me in. After ten seconds of silence and a numbing pain caused by holding the tray containing heavy contents, I muttered “bloody hell" before opening the door.

If you've been thinking my room is large, think twice because my parents' was the largest room ever. It was as large as a fancy hotel's foyer. It was fully furnished in a classical style. Paintings from auctions adorned the walls. Instead of a window, a tall glass stood as a shield from the outside world and I could see the sun set from here. The air-conditioning coupled with the fragrance of an air freshener brought a sense of homeliness to it.

"Matt, I told you I want to be alone." Mum sounded tired as she grumbled at the intruder. She sat by the right side of the king sized bed, ginormous enough for seven people to comfortably lay on. She had on her reading glasses while she gazed intently at her Apple laptop. I cleared my throat and said,

"Room service!" in a chirpy waitress-like voice. Immediately she heard my voice, she directed her attention at me, seemingly surprised by my visit. She took off her glasses and kept the laptop aside. There was an awkward silence after that.

"Er, dad said you haven't had dinner so I made something for you." I stuttered, raising the tray to indicate my statement.

She was more surprised than earlier and found it difficult to say something. If it weren't for the awkward moment, I'd find her demeanor very hysterical.

I just rendered my mum speechless!

"Wow! Um, thank you! You can drop them on the table right there." She motioned to a small glass dinner table, encompassed by four leather chairs. I walked over and placed the tray on it, relief shooting up to my bones. Looking back, I found mum still on the same spot.

I guess I'd have to leave her alone then. She'd come around to eating dinner at her own pace.

"I'll just take mine and head off to my room." Grabbing my plate, I started for the door but was halted by mum's voice.

"You wanted to eat with me?" Why did it seem like an abomination? Oh yeah, I actually have never made a grand gesture to her. That should be the reason.

"Um, yeah but I er, I can leave if you want to eat alone. I don't mind!" I call this the ‘stuttering battle’. Anyone who stutters the most wins.

"Oh no! We can eat together." She rose to her feet and walked to the  dinning table. I had no option but to trail behind. I placed my plate back on the table and sat down.

"Let's say grace, shall we?" I nodded and we held hands.

"Lord, we thank you for this meal, bless it and also provide for those who have nothing to eat in Jesus name." She prayed 

"Amen." We both chorused.

Without further ado, we laid aside the plate covers, staring at the gourmet dish in awe.

"I made your favorite; Chicken curry in a hurry. Bon appétit!" I spoke with a slight French accent.

I could tell my actions appeased her dearly as she placed her hands on heart, looking thankful.

"Thank you so much Cassiopeia!" She whispered finally.

Then we dug in!

The ambrosia floated around and soon I was salivating even before I got out my fork and knife. It tasted to delicious, I gave myself a mental pat on the shoulder.

"You made this?" Mum asked on the first taste. I nodded.

"It is so... delicious!" She finally found the word. I only smiled and got back to eating. We both said nothing as we ate, too hungry for small talk.

Apart from the clanking sounds of cutlery against cutlery, there existed a relative silence. But this time around, it wasn't awkward!