TFA: Miss Ya

*POE DAMERON*

The minute my feet hit the tarmac on D'Qar, I knew that I wasn't going to make it through debriefing without shedding a few tears.

It had already happened earlier this morning, the second I pulled out of D'Qar's atmosphere.

I hate being so soft, but when you're surrounded by things that remind you of her, it's hard to hold it in. Sometimes the tears are just better to be let go.

Today marks the day that my mother died, twenty-four years ago.

"Come on, buddy. Let's get this over with." I sigh, gesturing to BB-8, who was rolling along silently, at my heels.

General Organa had been kind enough to send BB-8 and I on a solo mission, because she knew how much I was struggling.

Being in command of other people's lives while dealing with your own grief was not a good idea. I've learnt from experience.

The memories come flooding back, back to my time in The New Republic Navy and how much harder it had been then.

Due to my stubbornness, I had flown my squadron out that day, even through my grief. We ran into trouble, and I lost a pilot. A good one too. I've never forgiven myself since.

Lost in my thoughts, my droid beeps softly, telling me that I'd arrived at my destination.

"Thanks buddy," I mutter, casting a weak smile downwards.

Taking a deep breath, I step inside the busy room. Instantly, Leia signals for silence and the clamor dies away.

I nod to all those looking my way, mustering up as much as a façade as I could, as I made my way to the General's side.

"The mission was a success. I retrieved sights of a small First Order vessel jumping to lightspeed, locked onto it, followed it, but it lead to nowhere. I strongly believe that we still need to keep our defenses up. Even through the First Order may not seem like a threat. They are." I robotically brief, my eyes fixed on a crack in the wall on the other side of the room.

The General puts a hand on my shoulder.

"We've heard enough. Good night, Poe." She whispers.

Usually, I would've taken offense to the General's order, but this time I was utterly grateful.

"Thank you, General." I whisper, my tired eyes meeting her knowing ones.

And with that, I left the room.

****

*Poe, Age 8*

A heavy hand rests on my shoulder.

A pair of sad eyes meet my own.

Eyes swollen and pink from shedding the much-deserved tears.

The eyes of my Father.

"I'm sorry, Son. Your mother is gone." He says quietly, voice cracking.

My head whirls, as the tears start to fall.

"W-w-what do you mean?" I stutter, voice barely audible.

"Poe. Your mother is dead." My father spits it out like it was vile. "She's gone."

I start to sob uncontrollably as I rest my head in my hands.

****

Throbbing. Pounding head.

The throbbing stops.

Pain. White hot searing pain tears through my head.

My vision goes black as the pain ebbs away, only to re-focus on a black robed figure looming in front of me, crimson blade ignited and in hand.

I instinctively draw for the blaster at my side, but it wasn't there.

The figure raises the blade and-

****

I scream, bolting upright in bed, throwing the covers off, running to the fresher that's in my quarters.

As I splash cold water on my face, reality starts to sink in and I slowly drag myself back in the direction I came.

"I am such a mess..." I groan, sitting on the edge of my bed, head in my hands.

A small beep comes from the corner of my quarters as BB-8 rolls to my feet, beeping an obvious question.

"Yeah. I'm fine, buddy. Just can't sleep." I mutter, sliding a hand through my messy hair. "I'm gonna go for a walk."

Grabbing my jacket and sliding my blaster into it's holster at my side, I slip into the dimly lit hallway, heading in no particular direction.

The base's hallways were empty. Almost an eerie quiet. The odd sound of snores and grumbles could be heard drifting throughout the corridors.

I stop and take in my surroundings. I was in front of the hangar where my X-Wing was in.

Opening the door to the hangar, I flick the lights on, the fighter sitting in the middle of the floor.

"Hey girl..." I whisper as I trail my hand over the newly made dents and scratches in the paint of my X-Wing.

I've always talked to my aircraft. It was something my mother always did.

My mother...

The tears start to come once again as I make my way to the large hangar door, pushing it open.

Sitting against the doorframe, I unclasp the chain from around my neck that held my mother's ring, while staring up into D'Qar's night sky.

I hold the cool metal in my hands, weighing it in each palm.

Staring back at the ring, then back into the hangar, a anger boils inside me.

"How can I be so kriffing selfish?" I wail into the inky blackness. "The Resistance is in pieces and here I am sulking like a kid! What kind of kriffing leader am I?"

I stand up, reel around and-

An alarmed series of beeps erupts from below me, causing me to draw my fist back from the wall.

I sink to the ground, crying, slightly relieved that BB-8 saved me from taking an unnecessary trip to the Med Bay and slightly annoyed that I didn't follow through with the blow I was going to deal to the wall.

"What are you doing out here, buddy?" I ask the droid, wiping away tears.

The droid beeped a response that surprised me.

"You came to comfort me?" I laugh. "How could you tell I was upset?"

BB-8 beeped back something along the lines of, 'I have my ways...'

"Well, I'm glad you did. You just saved me from having to make up a lame excuse for punching a wall." I say, smiling.

I sigh heavily, gazing down at the ring.

"At least I know you wont leave me, buddy."

BB-8 beeps a happy response and rolls away, leaving me to ponder my thoughts.

Staring up into the night sky once more, I clasp the chain back around my neck.

"I miss ya, Mom."

A/N
So? I haven't posted for a while but felt inspired after school today! Sort of a sad story, but I've been wanting to write something like this for a while now! Anyway, I have a question for y'all. Would anyone be interested in a romance story between a character I make up and Poe, or the reader and Poe? Please let me know! (I'd really like to do something like that, just want some of your guy's input!)

Thanks for reading!