Chapter 6

“Mm, you should try this, this is good” Gia said handing Selene a piece of her dark chocolate cake.

Selene winced, “It’s a little too sweet for me”

Gia scowled “You know nothing about sweets” she said taking another bite of her cake. They enjoyed their own desserts for a while.

“Do you want to talk now?” Gia asked once they were done.

“No, all I want to do is forget it ever happened” Selene sighed.

“What is men’s problem? Do they really think we’re just going to give ourselves like a buffet stand? Oh here you go, all you can eat. No charge” they both chuckled.

“So, what are your plans for today?” Gia asked coming out of the restaurant.

“Well, I was hoping to get an early start to find a job” Selene shrugged.

“You know, you don’t have to work…”

“But I want to,” Selene interrupted her “I just can’t let your father’s inheritance sustain me, besides he left that money to you”

“That’s right, he left it to me, and I want to share it with you” Gia said grabbing Selene’s hand.

Selene shook her head. “I’ve made my decision, I’ll look for a job tomorrow”

“But...”

“Nope, no buts”

Gia grunted, “Fine, I won’t say anything more” she said getting into the passenger’s seat. “So, where do we go now?”

 “How about a run in the forest” Selene suggested.

“I could really use a good run”

“Alright, into the woods it is” she said starting the engine.

* * * * * *

Selene howled of joy as she and Gia ran through the woods, she loved going against the wind, the breeze softly rushing through her light-brown fur. She turned to see Gia running behind her, he fur a lot darker than hers. Selene ran with all her might, she liked how smooth the earth felt with every step she took. She felt relaxed, free. She pushed herself to go faster and faster, this was true freedom. Selene came to as stop as she panted. Gia stopped as well.

I beat you again, she said smugly to Gia through her mind link.

I gave you a head start, she replied

You were the one who started before me

Give me a break will you

Race you back to the house, and no cheating this time. Gia had already sped off before Selene could finish that sentence.