Seven

♡♡♡

"El?"

Somehow, even though I feel betrayed by my father, the sound of his voice almost brings me to tears. I keep my eyes closed so that Andy doesn't see. The last thing I want is to see his smug expression as I sob on the phone.

"Hi," I whisper, turning away from Andy. The phone cord doesn't go very far, but at least I'm not facing him anymore.

I look into the lounge room, spotting Hunter on the couch, hands clasped together as he rests them under his chin.

"Are you alright?"

Even though the question might sound like a normal question a worried parent should ask, my father sounds perfectly fine with the situation. Like someone who is simply asking about the weather.

He wants to know if I'm alright?

I've been kidnapped, held against my will, sleeping in a barn that is freezing at night and too hot during the day. Not only that, but I have to be around Andy Haswell, the protagonist of my nightmares as a child.

No, I want to scream. I'm far from alright. Where are you? Why haven't you found me?

"I guess," I say, keeping my voice barely above a whisper. The less Andy hears, the better.

My dad sighs. "I'm guessing Andy's listening to you talk, right?"

He really does know where I am. So why the hell am I still here?

"Yes," I answer. "What the hell is going on?" I snap, realising my voice has risen too high. I breathe slowly, making sure my next words are quieter.

"Why hasn't anyone come to get me?" the anguish in my voice makes my dad clear his throat.

"Okay, listen. Trust me, I've wanted to. I've been talking to the guys—"

"The guys? What have they got to do with any of this? It's not their decision what you do."

I'm his daughter and he's listening to The Skulls?

"Ellie, listen to me for a second. We have a plan."

"Well does your plan involve coming to get me?" I say, so quietly that I wonder if he's even heard it through the phone.

"I'll need you to speak up, Elena," a voice says from behind me. I turn to look at Andy, glaring. "If you don't, I'll end this call now," he warns.

For the first time, I notice the snake tattoo on the side of his neck, one that climbs all the way up to his left ear. The tail dips under his shirt, disappearing somewhere along his chest. He definitely picked the right tattoo. He is a snake.

My dad's voice cuts through the phone. "I can hear his damn voice, the bastard," my dad growls.

"I know you can't really answer me without giving away what we're talking about, El. So, I'm just going to get you to say yes or no when I say something, alright?"

"Yes," I say, gulping. Andy isn't going to be happy with all my short answers. I know he will eventually end this phone call. I need my dad to hurry up and tell me what is going on.

"Don't freak out, alright honey? What I'm about to say might come as a shock but you've just got to trust me, alright?"

"Yes."

"Good. Alright so..." he sighs, and I imagine him leaning into his hands like he always does. "I knew that The Razors were going to take you."

I lean against the bench in front of me, my arms shaking. I almost drop the phone. I gulp, trying to keep my expression neutral. I don't want to give anything away.