Twenty-Nine

♡♡♡

Andy comes for me in the middle of the night. 

Before he even reaches the front door, leading out onto the patio, I'm met with the smell of wood-burning and smoke filling the air.

I don't struggle as he pins my arms behind me, forcefully walking me out onto the patio. I'm greeted by a crowd of at least a hundred people, all huddled around an open bonfire. They're laughing, talking, enjoying their night, while I wait for my ending.

How morbid I've become.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Andy booms, his voice carrying off into the dark night.

He sits me down in a chair, tells me not to move and walks over to stand on the front steps. He raises his hands theatrically like he's the ringleader of a circus and all his animals are waiting to join in on the show.

Everyone has stopped talking at this point, waiting for their cult leader to begin his long-awaited speech. People are watching with awe-stricken faces like Andy is their god.

I cast a glance at around, not recognising anyone. Until I spot Hunter. His gaze lingers on me and I watch as his angelic face lights up from the brightness of the fire. He's standing further away from everyone else and I spot something I wish I didn't. A set of bruises are forming on his right cheek and I shiver.

"Tonight, we have a special guest," Andy laughs, and so do the crowd. I'm not sure if I missed the punchline, but I don't find anything funny here.

I look away from Hunter, not wanting to see the pure anguish in his eyes anymore. 

"In two days time," Andy says, pausing for the theatrics. I don't think I'll ever understand what is going on in his psychotic mind. "We will be entering The Skulls property, armed and ready," he says and the crowd cheers.

Andy holds up a finger and everyone falls silent. It's crazy how much power this man has over his gang. They must be brainwashed, there is no other reason anyone would want to hang around someone like Andy.

"That is not all. When we storm their property," he pauses again and I'm on the edge of my seat, just like everyone else surrounding Andy. "We will kill Damon Cartwright, just like we should have years ago, ending years of rivalry!"

The crowd cheers and my heart thumps loudly in my chest, plummeting to my stomach.

I frantically look over at Hunter, terror clearly written all over my face. He's looking back at me, all the colour draining from his face. I spot Ridge walking over to Hunter, whispering something in his ear. They both look at me. I spot Marcos next, his face stone cold. He's the only person not clapping, besides Hunter and Ridge.

I stand suddenly, my chair knocking backwards from the force. "You can't do this!"

Andy spins on his heel, grabs me by the hair and pulls me towards the patio steps.

I grunt when he pulls from the roots and scream when he rips some of my hair out. I spot Hunter moving towards me, pure anger radiating from his expression, but I shake my head. I don't want him getting involved. He tries to keep walking but Ridge pushes him back, hands pressing against his chest as he yells something at Hunter.

"And there's more!" Andy roars and the crowd of members goes crazy. I've never been more terrified in my life. "Tomorrow night, a one-night-only event! The live execution of the one, the only, Ellie Cartwright!"

I'm numb. I'm cold. He's announcing my death like I'm nothing. He's announcing my death like he's a game show host and I'm the next contestant.

"At exactly midnight tomorrow, join me as you witness the death of Damon's daughter," he pulls my hair again, harder, but I don't react. Instead, I bite the inside of my cheek, drawing blood.

I don't flinch when he continues to detail my last ever night alive. I close my eyes, breath in, and feel the cool night air tingle against my skin.

This is it. My last summer alive.

I let the breeze relax me as I drown out the night and its many voices.