Chapter Three

The boys continued to go through combat exercises for what seemed like hours. Whispers rung in my ears as the other trainees observed us. From the pieces I picked up, no one believed Jungkook belonged on the team, but I never heard the reason why they believed this. Dinner time rolled around before we knew it. Namjoon had the brilliant idea to introduce Jungkook to the group the next time we were all together. Like a beehive going insane, I could already hear chatter buzzing in the hall as I passed by. People were starting to catch on that Jungkook was no longer an Aquaria trainee. In this place, secrets spread like wildfire, and I was certain it would catch the other members before we had time to eat. I made a quick pitstop at my room to grab a jacket, keeping warm in this giant freezer of a building. Whoever thought the best way to insulate a building in the north was with thin metal needed to fired immediately. A slight echo of knuckles against the door caught my attention.

Sliding it open ever so slightly, I could see Jungkook's youthful eyes looking down into mine. "I didn't mean to disturb you. I don't even know why I am here exactly. My feet just started moving, and I wound up here. Everything has been constantly changing in my life. I guess I could just use someone to talk to. You seem busy, so I will leave."

I opened the door up a little more. "There is no need to apologize. My door is always open for people to come in and visit. Your respectfulness to knock and not barge in is a different behavior for me. The other guys walk in wherever they please without concern for other people's privacy. If you don't mind me asking, how did you know where my room was?"

His cheeks started to burn red. "I...I have seen you go to your room every day for the last month. Since I came to Spectre later than everyone else, Director Atkins put me on the floor with the operatives. I just couldn't help but notice you. The other trainees kept talking about how you are one to watch, and I thought it was just guys being guys, checking out the prettiest woman we have ever laid eyes on. Now, I think they were talking about your talent more than your looks."

It was a comment I wasn't fond of but had grown accustomed to. Among the Aquaria team, it was common knowledge that each member of our team had a special skill and specific job that helped them get assigned to this unit. There was not one person I thought we could do without. Because the government didn't want to disclose to everyone what this entire operation was about, my role was kept a secret from the majority of trainees and lower level operatives. To this day, I still met operatives who underestimated my abilities and believed they were more than capable of replacing me.

"Are you nervous about getting introduced to the entire team?" I asked, letting my hair down. The staging team who were responsible for helping us blend in with the normal people in society had been swamped lately. Not wanting to overwhelm them, I refrained from getting a haircut for as long as possible, so now, it fell just above my waist.

Jungkook smirked. "I don't believe anyone can top the reaction Zeus had earlier in the infirmary. As long as there isn't a knife to my throat, I should be just fine."

I laughed. "These guys are just very protective of me. You could do something as little as slapping my hand too hard, and they would probably try to get back at you. Just so you know, since you are on the team, you can just call us by our real names. Our superiors hate it, but when you are constantly risking your life for one another, I think you earn the right to use it. There is no doubt in my mind that the others are going to lie to you and tell you it is a requirement. Just ignore them."

"What happened on that rooftop?" he blurted out.

I tried to shift my attention away from him, not wanting to ruin the conversation we were having. "That would be a story for another time. To fully explain it, I would need much more time than we have right now."