Chapter Ten

As I slipped away into the deep realm of dreams, I expected the man from my visions to return, but instead, a terrifyingly beautiful memory greeted me. Looking in the mirror, I could see my teenage skin, filled with pimples and fear. It had been a week since I was recruited for Spectre, and I was still all alone in this giant place. The facility was still in the process of being built, so I was stationed in a condo just off of Central Park. The view was something I was still getting used to and seemed to be the only thing that could occupy me these days. I was told until they officially chose the rest of the team, the other six rooms would remain empty. There was no use trying to run away from this life, people lined every possible point of exit: something I had learned the first night.

The door creaked open, revealing a young man. He appeared older than me, but not by much. His black hair was cut in military style, and the only bag he carried was a camouflage duffel. His eyes danced around the exquisite condo, stopping only once, when he saw me. It had been a while since I had been around a guy my age, and none of them ever kept their eyes on me as long as he did.

"Any idea what kind of a team we were recruited for?" Namjoon asked me. "With a place like this, I cannot imagine what they are going to pay us to do. I have never seen this side of New York. This is incredible."

"I...I am not sure exactly," I stammered. "Director Atkins just told me he was putting together a team that is going to be unlike anything we have ever seen before. I guess anything is possible."

"Is it just you and me right now?" Namjoon continued.

I nodded. "I have been here for a week so far. It could be quite a while before they bring the others, so if I were you, I would take in the peace and quiet for as long as you can. We probably won't get it again for a long time."

"Is there a TV we could watch some shows on or maybe even a computer?" Namjoon looked around, seeing just how uncivilized this place really was. No amount of glamour could hide the lack of technology.

"The only thing there is to do here is read really. Occasionally, I can see something interesting brewing outside while I am people watching," I admitted.

The man took a place on the l-shaped white couch in the middle of the living room. "I was having to go through that in basic training, so it is not a problem. We can just get to know each other instead. My name is Namjoon Fitzgerald, but beautiful women like yourself usually call me Namjoon."

"Karrington Halliwell," I introduced.

"That explains a lot," he laughed. The frown on my face made him continue. "I believe all of our names attribute something to our personalities. For example, the characteristics associated with my name say that I am a dependable person, hard-working, and very conservative. Your name means highly sought after, desirable. When you look like that, you must be a guy magnet. I have never seen someone with icy blue eyes like yours."

I raised an eyebrow. "And you just happened to know what my name meant off the top of your head?"

"Of course. My name also means I am a genius," he laughed. "And also, I was told your name on the flight over here. They said you would be the most crucial member on this team. I guess I will just have to figure out why that is."

Never before did I have someone to joke around with like this. It was quite nice. "I think it is very rude of you to assume I am a guy magnet, when in fact, I might be a lesbian. Are your conservative ways too narrow to consider that? This is a changing world, Namjoon."

This time, it was him who was embarrassed. "You love who you love, and that is not a concern of mine. I am sorry for the comment about you being beautiful. I wouldn't have said it if I would've known."