Chapter Sixteen

I looked over the cards I had in my hand, carefully debating my next move. No matter what I did, I was going to be screwed. There was no possible way to win in a situation like this. Jungkook had played through the game quite well, putting himself at an advantage at this point. Figuring out a plan and creating a strategy was definitely not my forte, but I still tried nonetheless.

"Do you have any twos?" I asked.

He smiled back. "Go fish. Do you have any fours?"

I threw the card at him as he laid down the rest in his hands. "Someone is a sore loser. I know you are very competitive, but you should work on showing a little bit of good sportsmanship. What if I just went and sulked around every time I didn't get my way?"

"Then, you would be right at home, mimicking all of the politician in this country," I shot back.

He smiled. "I do believe that means you have to give me back that shirt you borrowed."

I rolled my eyes. "Strip go fish is most definitely not a thing. If we were playing poker, then you would be the one removing your clothing. That is a game I know too well from my days in training. Speaking of games, why don't you tell me more about who Jungkook Jones is?"

He laughed. "Well, Karrington Halliwell, I will say that you are not a very subtle person. That is one thing I think I am better at you at. There's honestly not much to tell like I have told you before."

My back was against the bed, staring him down. It seemed like Spectre was the only government agency that allowed any color. Everything in here reminded me of my stint back at the psychiatric hospital. The white walls, the white sheets, the white carpet. After meeting us, the Director knew white carpet was definitely not an option. Jin would have food stains all over it in a matter of minutes. Yoongi would have random blood spatter on it from God knows what. Namjoon and I would probably break something from play fighting and that would be on it. Our agency might be built on a ridiculous concept, but we were the most reasonable people when it came to everything else.

"I fell in love for the first time when I was sixteen," Jungkook told me. "I haven't spoken about her since. Hell, I haven't had a real relationship since. It was hard to move on from her."

It wasn't what I wanted to know, but I was still quite curious. "What happened with you two?"

His eyes gleamed in a way I had never seen as he thought about her. "When I saw her the very first time, she was eighteen and enrolled at the prestigious Columbia University. I never thought she would look twice at a reckless and goofy guy like me. I had cut class to go to some boxing event. I don't even remember who it was. It was freezing outside like it usually was in the dead of winter. The cars all had icicles dangling down, and I remember not being able to feel my toes for two days after that because I stepped in this giant puddle. My friends wanted to stop and grab coffee before to warm up a little bit, and there she was sitting at a table filled with books. That blonde hair of hers made her look like a Victoria Secret's model, but then the way she was so invested in what she was reading made her seem more like a sexy Albert Einstein.

"I kept thinking that I should go and talk to her. What's the worst that could happen, right? Then, my drink was ready, and I started to walk out. She called out after me, 'Are you really just going to sit there and stare at me and then leave without saying a word?' I never made it to the event that day. It's funny because after I met her, I felt like I gained so much knowledge listening to her talk about all of these different topics she was interested in, but I almost flunked out of high school from skipping to be with her." He reminisced.

"I wish I had that," I swooned.

"But the great Karrington Halliwell doesn't believe in love."