Chapter Twenty

Two people on this team have been lying to me since the first day we met. Two people have kept their powers a secret for all of this time. Two people have let me suffer alone while they enjoyed the freedom of being normal. I was about to figure out this mystery once and for all. Once these gloves came off, the truth would come out one way or another. I just needed to control the pain and suffering that came with each secret I revealed.

Yoongi was the first to greet me. "We need to talk." His words were cold like ice piercing through my skin, but at this moment, my heart was more frozen than he ever could imagine.

I was pissed. The more I thought about those two people hiding this secret, the angrier I became. If Yoongi was one of them, there would be a new hitman everyone needed to watch out for. I was done playing games with men. How could they just sit and listen to stories about my struggles and not say anything? Our world is burning, and it is best if we band together, not let someone endure the agony on their own.

"Whatever you saw in that vision of yours, you had no right to invade my privacy. The memories I choose to keep from this group are personal, and do not pertain to our mission. Just forget about whatever it is you think you saw because I can tell you that you do not know a damn thing about what I have gone through in life," Yoongi hissed.

My chuckle was light, laced with amusement at the matter. "Do you honestly believe I would poke and prod at your personal life because I wanted to? Like I had choice? Scorpia was built on our trust and faith in each other. From what I saw in my vision, you killed an innocent man. I didn't see the entire memory, so if you don't explain your side of the story, I will be forced to rely on the information I was given. As much as you want to keep that part of your life tucked away, we cannot do that now."

He was reluctant to speak up, but he still told me what I wanted to know. "Every night I came home, the stench of alcohol was the only smell I could make out. It was so heavy, I would fall asleep nauseous, hoping I would drown in my own vomit so I wouldn't have to wake up to that life again. My father was a drunk and a mean one at that. He would beat my sister and I until every inch of our body was purple and blue. My own mother abandoned her kids, so she could have a better life with someone else. She was so scared of him that she knew he would never come after her if he still had his children to control. For a while, it was just me he was taking his anger out on. Then, he started to pull my ten-year-old's sister's skirt down. Laying on the floor with my blood flowing out of my body, I knew I had to stop him. I did just that. He is no longer out there hurting other people. If you believe that is an innocent, then yes, I killed an innocent man and would do it again in a heartbeat."

"Abuse in every form is difficult, but we cannot just kill everyone who hurts us and the people we love. That is not justice that is revenge, Yoongi. I have been abused more times in my life than I care to admit, but I would rather those people rot in a cell than their life be wrongfully taken. We are not the judge nor are we the executioner," I reasoned.

His eyes were dark. "Really? It seems like that is all we do on this team. We don't hesitate to kill someone when they get in our way. We do exactly what the government tells us to do without a second thought. Who is to say that our government is in the right all the time? He was going to rape her, Karrington. I had to stop him. I am not letting my sister have the memory of our father sexually assaulting her engrained in her mind for the rest of her life. That is not happening if I can help it."

"I am not saying you should just let it happen. You could've prevented it without killing him. How many times did you stab him before he fell lifeless to the ground? It would've taken one or two for him to be injured enough to back off. There are so many other things you could've done besides kill him," I snapped. "Killing him could've been exactly how you wound up with your job at Spectre. It is how you got stuck underneath the government's thumb."