Ch. 3

I trudged into the school like a zombie. People were staring at me as I passed by. I already knew why. There were dark circles under my eyes. I didn't bother to cover them up. Makeup wasn't really my thing. I was suddenly yanked into a room. It was the bathroom. I traced the well-manicured hand on my arm to Minji. She seemed upset.

"Yah!" She yelled, "What are you doing walking around like that!?"

I winced at her volume. "Not so loud." She rolled her eyes at me. I could feel the tirade coming. She scolded me about sleeping and how I was going to ruin my skin as she gently applied concealer under my eyes. We spent a good thirty minutes blocking a sink before Minji finished her sermon. I bowed and formally apologized, although it was halfhearted.

We walked to our classroom arm in arm. Minji was worried I'd somehow veer off course or bump into someone. The latter was more likely though. Jeongin was already there waiting for us. He pointed a finger at me. I collapsed in the seat in front of him. "Pointing is rude." I tutted as I lay my head down on the desk.

I felt so tired. I'd actually spent the majority of the night wondering if rabid fangirls were actually going to come for me. People were mean. It was just a fact of life. What I didn't understand was why I had to suffer just because I was associated with someone a lot of people admired. I'd never gotten involved with the social hierarchy of the school before and it scared me. I mean, I could only base my fears on the things I'd seen on TV. Sure, a lot of the situations portrayed were probably exaggerated for the sake of storytelling, but they had to have been inspired by something.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I took it out to see who'd texted me. It was from Hyunjin Sunbaenim. We'd exchanged contact information the day before. Why was he texting me so early in the day?

Sunbaenim:

Hey

Sunbaenim:

You free to study today?

"Who you texting?" I flinched, nearly dropping my phone. I glared up at Minji who shrugged it off. "Sorry." Jeongin leaned over my other shoulder to peek as well.

I sighed. "It's Hyunjin Sunbaenim." Their mouths fell open at the same time.

"You have his number!?" Jeongin exclaimed.

"'Scuse me," Minji pulled out her planner, "what kind of flowers do you want at your funeral?"

"Are his fans that bad?" My voice cracked as I asked. I was that scared.

Jeongin smacked Minji's shoulder. The girl yelped in pain and rubbed her sore spot. He lay his head on my shoulder, leaning his head on mine. "She's just joking, but you should be careful."

I sighed once more. I hesitantly typed out a reply.

Me:

I'm free after school. We should study in the library.

I didn't have to wait long before I received a response.

Sunbaenim:

Great 😁

Great.