Ch. 12

I eyed Jeongin suspiciously from over my shoulder. I stopped in my tracks. He did the same. "Why are you following me?" I was on my way to the library to tutor Hyunjin Sunbae.

He shrugged. "My English score wasn't as high as I wanted it to be."

"So you want me to tutor you too?" He nodded. I sighed. "Come on." During our first week together, Sunbae and I sat at the same table every day. It was somewhere in the middle of the library near a big window. I liked it because whenever the sun would set, I could watch the dust mites dance in the air. Sunbae hadn't noticed it before but agreed when I pointed out how relaxing it was. Tutoring sessions there had kind of become our thing. Strangely, I felt bad bringing Jeongin with me. Something came over me, causing me to stop once more.

"What's wrong?" Jeongin peered at me. I couldn't do it. I didn't want to. A part of me was adamantly refusing to share our space with Jeongin and I didn't understand why, but it just didn't feel right. I whipped out my phone and sent a quick text to Sunbae.

Me:

Let's study at the park today

I looked up at Jeongin and smiled. "Let's study in the park!"

He seemed confused. "Okay..?" I felt a buzz in my hand. He replied.

Sunbae:

Sure

Sunbae:

Meet you there

Jeongin and I went ahead. As we looked for a table to sit at, we passed by a crepe stall. I felt my mouth water at the smell. I loved crepes almost as much as I loved waffles. "I want one." I murmured.

Jeongin smiled fondly. "Go find a table. I'll buy it." I didn't like him spending money on me. He groaned, completely aware of how displeased I was. "Ugh, stop pouting and go."

I didn't stop pouting, but I left to find a table anyway. It was more efficient this way. I eventually found a nice table under the shade. It was perfect! Jeongin found me not long after with two crepes in his hands. I squealed in delight. "Strawberry crepe, my one true love!"

Jeongin gasped in mock offense. "I thought I was your one true love!"

I scoffed. "Yeah, maybe in your dreams." He narrowed his eyes at me and cautiously offered me my treat as he sat down beside me. We ate our snacks in peace. I wondered where Sunbae was. The park wasn't far from the school so what was taking him so long? I glanced over at Jeongin, who was eating without a care in the world. He'd ordered mango for himself. I grew curious. "Hey," I called out, "let me taste yours."

He stuck his tongue out at me. "Tell me I'm your one true love."

I fake gagged. "Do I have to?"

He waved his crepe in the air, taunting me. "Well, you don't have to..."

I groaned. The things I do for sweets. I took a deep breath. I was going to do this as quickly as possible. "You're-my-one-true-love!" I yelled then took a bite of his crepe before he could protest.

He looked appalled. He smacked my shoulder to which I giggled. "I feel so cheated! I didn't even get to hear it properly!" He whined.

"It's too late now!" I cried triumphantly, "What's done is done!" As we bickered like the children we were, Hyunjin arrived.

He was out of breath again. "Did you guys wait long?"

He always seemed to be out of breath. I shook my head and shot him a smile. "Let's get started!"