Ch. 5

Hyunjin Sunbae and I spent every day after school studying together. I had tried to keep our tutoring sessions strictly business, but his naturally outgoing personality knocked down whatever wall I had attempted to build. After a week, he started referring to me as a friend. However, I was on the fence as to what I wanted our relationship to be. So far, I was just glad nobody had come after me yet. Maybe associating with an ulzzang wasn't so dangerous after all.

It was Saturday! I woke up to the wonderful smell of waffles. My mouth was watering as I practically ran down the stairs to the kitchen. On weekends it was Chan Oppa's turn to cook. "Good morning!" It was still fairly early in the morning and yet, I felt so energetic. I started setting the table for three. Woojin Oppa usually came over for breakfast.

Our parents lived in Australia with our little brother. Chan Oppa and I wanted to study in Korea so our parents bought an apartment for us and we'd been living here since I was in elementary school. Woojin Oppa was Chan Oppa's best friend. He was practically my brother too. They made a great pair. Chan Oppa was the laid-back brother and Woojin Oppa was the overprotective brother. I like to think of them as the reason I haven't died yet.

The doorbell rang. "I'll get it!" I yelled as I made my way to the door. It was Woojin Oppa right on time. "Oppa's making waffles!" I cried in excitement.

"Not pancakes?" He teased as he put on his designated pair of indoor slippers. I narrowed my eyes at him. He knew I preferred waffles over pancakes. He only laughed at my glare and further messed up my already disastrous bedhead. I ran to escape his reach, patting down my hair as I sat at the dining table. Chan Oppa placed a huge stack of waffles at the center of the table. There were various syrups, jams, spread and fruit to the side. I was so excited to eat.

Oppa chuckled at me. I had no doubt that my eyes were shining with an animesque quality. He gave me the best waffle with a proud smile on his face. "My lovely dongsaeng needs to eat well to stay smart." He cooed.

I cringed at his sweet words, but the waffle made up for it. "I love you Oppa!" I cried before thanking him for the food. As I devoured waffle after waffle, Woojin Oppa and my brother talked about school. They went to the same college, though they were in different departments. Chan Oppa was studying to be an actor, while Woojin Oppa was studying to be a music teacher.

"So how's school?" Woojin Oppa asked, remembering to include me in their conversation.

I shrugged. "It's normal... but, my homeroom teacher is making me tutor someone." I quickly added as an afterthought.

My brother looked surprised. "Really? Who?"

"A senior who didn't do so well on his midterms."

Woojin Oppa's expression turned sour. "It's a guy?"

I wasn't sure how to respond. Luckily, my phone started vibrating, saving me from a potential lecture. Speak of the devil, it was Sunbae.

Sunbae:

You free today?

Sunbae:

Let's study 📚

Me:

Sure

Me:

Let's meet up at the library

Sunbae:

I was thinking of a cafe

I frowned. I didn't want to spend money just to study. The idea seemed wasteful.

Sunbae:

My treat

Sunbae:

As thanks for putting up with me

I didn't notice my lips had curled into a smile. "Who are you texting?" Woojin Oppa asked suspiciously.

"That senior I was telling you about." He frowned. My brother seemed chill with the whole situation as was his role in our dynamic. "Relax, Oppa. He just wants to study." My explanation was meant to calm him, but he became even more upset.

"He wants to study on a weekend!?" He exclaimed incredulously. Although he had a point, Sunbae was taking his studies very seriously so I felt a little offended for him.

I needed to escape. I looked at my brother to be my salvation. He gave me a warm smile. "Have fun."

That was my signal. I bolted from the table. I started getting ready to leave. I just threw on whatever clothes I found first as I usually did. Today's outfit happened to be a sweatshirt and shorts. Perfect considering the weather. It wasn't a hot day so I decided not to put my hair in a bun unlike usual. I glanced at my phone as I readied my materials. There was a new message.

Sunbae:

Let's meet up at noon

Me:

Sure

I hurried past the dining room, yelling goodbye before Woojin Oppa could stop me. In the corridor, I could hear him complaining that I looked like I had a date. I suppressed my laughter as I exited the building. I'd never had a relationship, but Woojin Oppa was always so concerned about my love life. I couldn't even imagine myself on a date and it wasn't like anyone was looking to ask me out. Actually, it was a little sad. Seventeen years on this planet and nobody had ever asked me out. I'd never fallen in love either. I shrugged off all this negativity. I wasn't looking for love but if it found me, I wouldn't complain.

⭐️

OMG! I totally forgot to update >_< I'm so sorry! Updating twice today to make up for this.