Chapter One

"Klara! I didn't know if you would return." Klaus stood up and offered his hand to pull me up again.
"Well- here I am," I said, and sat in the same place that I had sat the day before.

It took no more than three seconds until I noticed a stack on canvases sitting on top of the hay bale that Klaus was leaning on.

"What's this?" I pointed. Klaus lifted down the stack and sat along side me.

"Well you liked my artwork, so I brought a few others along to show you." He handed them to me. There were ten or so paintings and drawings. I studied every one of them closely.

"I think this is my favourite!" I lifted out a drawing of a sunset with a tree and a rope swing in the background, along with a small country house. It was fantastic.
"Ah yes... I did that one a long time ago, when I visited Ireland." Klaus looked at the painting and smiled, but the smile soon dropped. "By long, I of course mean a year or two ago when I was twenty two..." He laughed nervously, then continued talking.
"This one- is my favourite," Klaus picked out a painting of a blonde girl standing beside an older woman who had her arm around the blonde girl.

I admired it and nodded, I was curious as to who the young blonde girl was...
"It's my sister- Rebekah." I smiled inwardly to myself. Thank God they're related.

"And that beside her- is my Mother- Esther."
"They're both very beautiful," I looked at the painting. It was- just like all the others- very detailed. Klaus had painted in every little object that was in the room of the painting.

I continued sorting through the canvases again, taking a moment to admire each one.
"Klara... would you like me to draw you, maybe?" Klaus asked, his eyes meeting mine.

"Really? That would be wonderful, Niklaus!" I set the canvases onto the floor, and set my hand close to Klaus's hoping he would take the hint.

He didn't. He instead picked up a paint brush and a blank canvas.
"Well then- I'll start painting." He nodded and

I nodded my head, and sat up straight.

"Okay- put your hand up to your face, and your other hand on the ground- now stay like that!" Klaus instructed, and he began scribbling on a blank canvas.

* *

It had been almost three hours.

"Klaus- my arm is getting awfully tired- are you almost-"

"Finished!" Klaus interrupted. He presented the painting of me, and my eyes widened. He had done everything right! He got my pale skin spot on, my eyes were the perfect shade of brown, my lips were as red as in real life, and my dress was the exact same colour.

"wow..." I managed to say. Klaus laughed a little, then placed the canvas on my lap. I picked it up to admire the picture once more.

"I hope you like it," Klaus was watching the painting,

"I love it," I almost whispered. I didn't know what else to say other than wow, until I realised it was getting dark outside.

"Well Klaus- it was wonderful seeing you again! But I need to go- my supper will probably be ready soon." I carefully manoeuvred the canvas so I could stand up.

"Okay, Klarabelle-see you soon... Oh and take this!" Klaus handed me the painting of the sunset. My expression changed immediately.

"No no Klaus I couldn't! It's yours! You must have put so much effort into it," I was flattered by Klaus' gift secretly.

"I did put a lot of effort into it... Which is why you should have it. In fact, I insist you take it!"

I set the painting down carefully, and threw my arms around Klaus.

"Thank you very much Nicklaus," I whispered in his ear.

**

Once I got to the bottom of the ladder, Klaus followed me down with the paintings in his arms.

"Well then Klara- will I be seeing you tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow" I nodded, as I was handed the paintings.

Klaus began to step forwards on the creaky wooden floor, when a weak plank snapped beneath his foot. He stumbled forwards to the window- which was already broken from goodness knows when!

"NICKLAUS!" I shouted, as his hand dug right into a pointed shard of broken glass.

Klaus shouted in pain, and glared at the glass implanted in his skin.

"Oh my god- Klaus! I'll go and get help-"

"NO! Stop- I'm fine; really," Klaus looked down at his bleeding hand and yanked the glass out. He winced in pain.

"Klaus- why would you-" I started to speak, then looked at Klaus' hand which seemed to be... Healing? The blood was drying up, and the cut from the glass was closing up.

Klaus looked at me- a look of fear washed over his face.

"Klara... I..."

"What the? Klaus how did you heal so fast? What... What did you do?!" I questioned, glaring at his now healed hand, with a worried look on my face. Klaus placed his hand on my face, and I flinched ever so slightly.

"Look at me Klara... I need you to forget that that just happened..." Klaus was looking directly into my eyes- the pupils' in his eyes were adjusting size and flickering. He looked apologetic- like he felt sorry for me.

"All you remember is coming down the ladder and saying goodbye... Okay, love?"

I nodded at Klaus,

"All I remember is coming down the ladder and saying goodbye..." I repeated. Klaus sighed.

"I'm sorry..." he whispered under his breath.

"Goodbye Klarabelle! Until tomorrow." Klaus kissed my hand, and quickly disappeared, leaving me in the barn house, holding my paintings.