◼Eleven

11.  Colin

Adam is tired.

"We'll get back to you in a few days, Mr Gray. Thank you for coming." Mino Kim said to Adam who nods. Adam had come in for an interview at RedStripes Publishing. He had thrown on a blue button up shirt that he tucked into a pair of dark slacks, his hair styled to perfection by Sara who was currently at home relaxing.

Adam had told Sara to rest, he would pick up Ian from school. Adam had answered all the questions CEO, Mino Kim had asked him as honestly as he could. He really needed this job if he was planning to move on with his plans.

He shakes Mino's hand and gives her a bright smile before walking away. He made his way to the elevator and got on. Fortunately, it was empty.  The last Adam needed was for someone to see him cry.

It's something that has been happening a lot ever since the ordeal with George and Jensen a week ago. He quickly wiped his tears away in time for the doors to pull open.

He doesn't know it but his eyes and nose were red, it made a few people stare and another few point. He ignored them and made his way to his Escalade. It was almost time for him to get Ian. The school was about half an hour away from RedStripes Publishing, twenty minutes if the traffic was little.

When he got into the car, he instantly connected his phone to the car's Bluetooth and called Sara.

"So how did it go?" Sara asked, a loud crunching sound following after.

"Are you eating my potato crisps?" Adam asked as he pulled out of the parking lot.

"Answer my question and i'll answer yours." Sara retorted.

"It went okay, I guess. Mino said she'll give me a call in a few days." Adam replied. He winces when Sara lets out a loud squeal that was deafening.

"You got it!" Sara screamed. "Mino always says that whenever she's made up her mind about something. YOU GOT THE FREAKING JOB!"

Adam perked up at that. He almost slammed the brakes in his happiness. The smile on his face felt too big and he let out a loud cackle.

"Oh my god, Sara!"

"Go pick up Ian and I'll get the cake and wine! We are going to celebrate!"

"I'll see you soon, Sara."

The call ends after that. Adam flips on the radio and Icarus by Bastille flit through the speakers. Adam sang to it as he drove, all his pain and insecurities pushed to the back of his mind for a little while. He had completed the first step of his four step plan.

1. Get a job
2. Send Jensen the divorce papers
3. Move
4. Be happy

It was a short plan but a strong one nonetheless. He had done one with three more to go. He could do this. He had savings and could even look around for a house with the kids this weekend.

The thirty minute journey from RedStripes Publishing to Ian's school turned into a fifty minutes one. He had received a call from the Headmistress' secretary, telling him that Ian was the only child left in class. Adam had promised her that he was three minutes away from the school gates.

Immediately Adam parked the car, he got out of it and ran inside the school, down the hallway leading to Ian's class. The school was empty and since it was a Wednesday, there were no after school activities going on.

Adam pushed the door to Ian's class open and stood in his track when he sees Ian seated on the carpet with a large coloring book spread out and crayon in his hand and spread out the book. His teacher, Mr. Baker who had been happily coloring Winnie the Pooh neon green, looked up when he heard Adam walk into the room.