▪️Twenty

20. Fix

"Would you like to stay for dinner?"

Adam was sitting on the couch, freshly showered after crying his heart out. The red in his eyes had gone down and he looked so much better. It's been two hours since they returned from Greenwood High and Jensen has been sitting on a love seat with his back straight and shoulders tense.

Adam wasn't even sure why he had asked that question. The entire day had just been a big pain and he just wanted it to end. He does, however, notice that he felt thankful and better, that Jensen has been there beside him and also holding him together. It's been two years, when was all these feelings going to go away?

The truth is, he didn't want Jensen to go.

They haven't spoke more than a handful of words over the last two years and he just... he misses Jensen. A weight lifts in Adam's chest when Jensen nods, his lips quirking up in a small smile.

"I'd love to." Jensen replies. In an second, his eyes widened and he scrambled for his phone. "Um... I just have to call Vanessa real quick and tell her I won't be able to make it."

Adam grew still. It felt like someone had doused him with a bucket of cold water. His heart beat quickened and he began to play with his thumbs as he wonder who Vanessa was.

"She's my therapist."

Adam tears his gaze away from his hands to the man who used to be his husband. "I didn't ask you."

"You did? You said you wonder who Vanessa was?" Jensen said and Adam's eyes widened in shock. He had voiced out his thoughts a-

Did Jensen just say therapist?

"Is everything okay?"

"I have been seeing her for a while and we talk a bit." Jensen said. Adam wasn't sure what to make of this. Jensen hadn't even said anything and he wasn't to blame because Adam didn't ask.

Not knowing how to reply. Adamjust says, "Oh. That's good."

"Yeah it is. She even asked if you could sit in on one of our meetings."

Adam blinked repeatedly. "Is that allowed? Can I do that?"

Jensen nods. Adam looked over Jensen. His ex husband had on a white shirt tucked into navy pants and shiny shoes. His hair was slicked back and a big watch wrapped kind his wrist. His eyes fall to his fingers and there's a sharp pain in his head when he sees the empty finger. This was not the first time seeing this but it pains him all the same.

It felt like the man sitting across him, the man he spent twenty years with was a stranger. Sitting in one of of his counseling meetings would be a great way to understand him. It was weird not knowing what's going on with Jensen, it felt like the year of their divorce all over again.

The least they could be was friends so they could catch up and Adam would know Jensen was alright.

"I don't like our present relationship." Adam said and Jensen coughs. Yikes. Maybe he should have worded that differently.

"Relationship?"

"We don't talk past our greetings when it's your turn for the kids and I don't like it. You used to be my best friend and i knew everything about you but now it feels like you're a stranger. I'd like us to get along for the sake of the kids."

Jensen looked like he had stopped breathing and Adam scrambled to find his words.

"I'd want us to be friends."

"Friends." Jensen repeats, mulling over the words. Adam stayed quiet. This was him offering a big as fuck olive branch and he was waiting for Jensen to take it and he knew deep down that Jensen would.