3

After an immense amount of pleading Nikolai finally agreed to meet me at a cafe in town. Theo begged me to let him come with me, saying he didn't trust Nikolai not to pull some kind of joke.

We eventually settled on me riding with Theo's body guard Amos instead of driving myself. So here I am sitting inside at a back booth while Amos sits a few tables away.

I had just received my coffee from the waiter when the bell chimes on the door. My head snapped up to see Nikolai striding in like he owned the place. He sneered at me the closer he got until he finally sat down across from me.

We didn't say anything at first, Nikolai slid his coat off laying it in the booth next to him before he flagged down a waiter. Once he ordered he finally turned his attention to me.

"Well let's get this over with, what the hell could you possibly need to speak with me about?"

I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh. I get it I fucked up but damn let's be adults here.

"It's about Evie-"

"I don't want to talk about her." He quickly interrupted me. I could tell by the mention of her name his body had gone tenser than it was when he sat down here.

"Well were going to like it or not my best friend needs help and I can't give her what she needs."

He cocked his head to the side and placed his hands on the table. "She doesn't need me she made that clear when she chose you over me."

"It wasn't a choice Nikolai we come first to each other no matter what. For awhile all we had was each other. That doesn't mean she doesn't need you. She needs you in a completely different way than she needs me."

The waiter walked up and placed down Nikolai's coffee before he walked away leaving us to ourselves again. Nikolai didn't take his eyes off of me though. I could see the hurt and resentment. He blamed me for their break up.

"I can't give her what she needs Scarlet."

I grit my teeth together at the use of my full name. I could see the smirk on his face only infuriating me further.

"Do you still love her?"

The smirk was gone as he thought about what to say.

"Yes I do."

"Well then you and I need to learn to get along, because until that happens there's not a chance of you getting her back."

He grimaced at the thought of us getting along and really I still wasn't sure why he hated me from the beginning.

"I don't think that's going to be possible."

"Can I ask you why you hated me from the start?"

He seemed to be mulling it over in his head. To be honest I don't even think he knows why he hated so much to start with.

"You changed him." He finally said before picking up his coffee and taking a sip. "Vitaly used to be ruthless a born leader. Then you come along and he turns into some lovesick puppy. I was always waiting on the moment you would betray him, They always do. He would put you before any of us."

My heart broke for Nikolai. I never wanted to come between him and his brother. I didn't even realize I was doing it. I also didn't see the change as all a bad thing. He was sweeter and more levelheaded after he met me. I can't even begin to imagine what he's doing now.

"Why didn't you say anything? I didn't want to come between you two. I never asked to be there in the first place. I left because I was a distraction, I saw it first hand that he would choose me and I didn't want that. I had to break his heart I had to leave."