Chapter 5: Project partners

So, chemistry class with Shawn made my day because we always had the same thing on our mind, we never had to verbalize our thoughts for once. We just shared a look and then we already knew what the other was thinking.

For instance, he gave me a piece of chalk and I chucked it at afro-geek, I gave him an eraser and he knocked half of the test-tubes off the table. By the way, that was how we got our first detention this year. A new record for me, second day of new school semester, achievement unlocked.

The normal school day was over now and I remembered my audition for the show choir. Searching for the choir room took me some time because I got distracted by some cheerleaders who were trying to get on my good side by flirting with me.

They obviously tried to get a better treatment from me for practice tomorrow afternoon by flattering my ego and even though I reciprocated their flirty advances, they better had not set their hopes too high. I was as hard and ruthless as coach Cheryl and I wasn't going to disappoint her. Training was still training, I didn't do exceptions.

I didn't bother knocking on the door to the choir room since I could see through the glass that everyone was still talking to each other, confirming Mr Cowell absence.

"Camila! why didn't you tell me you were gonna join show choir?"

Was that Shawn? Yes, I would recognize his smirk from a thousand miles away because it resembled mine so much.

"I could ask you the same." I replied in wonder and it felt like I was seeing the people in here for the first time. Frankie, Lucy, Archie and Eve were already acknowledged but some of the other faces were so unexpected that I openly gaped at them.

"What you staring at dawg?"

Yep, definitely Dinah. Then I wasn't imagining her and Normani and...Lauren. Their incredulous looks matched mine as we were staring at each other.

The three most popular girls were in show choir and yet The Harmonies (what the group is called) was still uncool? I didn't get it.

"Ha, Camila, the same goes for you." Shawn lightly said. "What are you doing here?"

I hesitantly pulled my eyes away from Lauren and I nodded to Frankie and his friends. "Actually, my new friends made me want to join."

"What?" Several voices asked in disbelief, including Shawn, Dinah and Lauren. I just shrugged my shoulders and shared meaningful looks with the four Harmonies kids I had met yesterday in the auditorium. Frankie gave me a broad smile and his eyes were slightly teary, maybe he didn't expect my admission to our friendship because of their low status.

I frowned at that. I was no saint and sometimes not better than a bully, I had to admit that I had done my fair share of pushing people around and making their life harder but never to the extent of where I could break them. And only to people who kind of deserved it, mostly bullies themselves or annoying snobs who thought they could have it all.

I knew I wasn't better than any of them if I lowered myself to their level. But I'd never been good with this whole 'I don't need this, I'm above it' thing. I was more like 'Fuck with me and I'll fuck your girlfriend' or something close to that, which wasn't an elegant solution but killed two birds with one stone. I got my revenge and I got the girl.

I strode to the first row and took the seat next to Lucy, relaxing back in my chair. Shawn had followed me and sat behind me, muttering something about 'watching some fine ass' which made me turn around and flip him the bird. But he just laughed, took my hand with the offensive gesture and brushed his lips against the back of my hand, making me giggle uncharacteristically.