Chapter 43: Are you okay?

"Hey, Cabello!"

I frantically turned my head to both sides to find Dinah.

"I'm right behind you, you idiot!"

I rolled my eyes and bit on my tongue to refrain from insulting her bitchy ass, because how was I supposed to completely turn around while sitting on my motorcycle?

"Where have you been? Lauren's going completely cray and I'm sick of telling her to calm her tits."

I remained seated on my motorcycle as Dinah walked around it and came to a stop in front of me. She looked annoyed.

"You missed choir, Cabello. Lauren's gone home and the only reason why I'm still here is because I got some fine locker room sex. What's your excuse?"

"Where's Normani then?" I dodged her stupid question by asking her an entitled one. Because I didn't see Dinah's girlfriend with her.

"What are you talking about, Mani is right here – Mani baby? Normani!"

Dinah just realized that she had lost her girlfriend on the short way from the school building to me on the parking lot.

"Respect," I dryly mumbled as I watched her running back to the school. But I didn't really blame her carelessness, because she had been surprised to see me here and the surprise had shortly distracted her. Enough to forget her girlfriend.

I had to chuckle, before I almost choked on my own spit. What was I doing here if Lauren wasn't here anymore? I forgot about my own girlfriend!

Starting the engine of my bike, I speeded like a madwoman to Lauren's place. And when I got there, I had to do a full braking because I almost overlooked the black limousine parking in the Jauregui's driveway.

I could feel my heart drop, the foreboding making it hard to breathe. I was tempted to roll backwards onto the street again and drive away.

But I was going to get it right this time. If not for me, then for my girlfriend, because who knew what my fathers were doing in there. And how did they know that she was my girlfriend? Did Carlton tell them about my relationship? Because then I'd never forgive him for interrupting one of our kisses by loudly calling us 'teen lesbians'.

I got off my bike and nervously walked towards the door. I could do this. After talking with Samantha and Gabrielle, my mind had cleared by now and there was only one way for me.

I could do this.

But I did nothing, staring at the front door like I was expecting it to open from itself. It had worked before, mostly because either Lauren or Clara would notice me standing there whenever they looked out of the kitchen window.

And just as I anticipated, the door swung open, revealing a relieved Lauren flinging herself at me to lock me up in a tight embrace. But instead of enjoying the feeling of her body flush against mine, I apprehensively stared past her shoulder into the hallway, dreading to see two tall figures popping up out of nowhere.

"I want to be mad at you for ditching school," Lauren whispered in my ear, her voice worried and strained, "but I can't, because I understand why you did it."

"Are they here?" I quietly asked her and even to myself did I sound like a scared child.

Lauren pulled away from the hug and cupped my cheeks with her hands, forcing me to look at her instead of gazing into her house. My eyes widened and turned vulnerable. "Are they?" I whispered again, barely audible.

She slowly nodded and this small motion caused my heart to drop. Leaving my body cold and numb.

Out of reflex, I stepped back, stumbling. I was losing my grip, I could feel it, could feel all the strength that I had built up on my way here leaving me again.