Chapter 29: Imagine me and you

"Imagine me and you, I do"

I sang with a bright smile, pointing between Lauren and I, making her giggle.

"I think about you day and night." I took her hands into mine, twirling her around, until she landed in my arms with her back pressed to my front and together we swayed to the music. "It's only right to think about the girl you love and hold her tight."

The words were sung into her neck, and she let out a light giggle at the ticklish sensations.

"So happy together."

At this, she twirled around to face me and continued to sing for me, "If I should call you up, invest a dime, and you say you belong to me and ease my mind."

My grin couldn't be possibly larger but I was beaming like a fool anyway, moving with her to the music. Her voice was so raspy and soothing, I wouldn't mind her singing to me everyday.

"Imagine how the world could be, so very fine, so happy together."

Intertwining our fingers, our voices united in the chorus and our smiles were splitting our faces at this point. "I can't see me loving nobody but you for all my life."

I had to admit, this song was a bit cheesy, but it had such a happy and catchy tune, I felt like singing it for the rest of my life.

"When you're with me the skies'll be blue for all my life."

We were singing, laughing, dancing, goofing around on the stage of the empty auditorium, using lunch break as our escape from everyone else. It felt so good, I felt so free, I wished I could do this forever.

Everybody had one of these moments where they wished that time would just stand still, giving them eternity to stay in this bliss. I was wishing for one of those moments, praying that the clock would stand still and not limit my time with Lauren. I almost felt desperate of being under time restraint because of stupid school classes, how could it be that such banal things took away the precious time I wanted to share with my girlfriend?

I knew I was losing focus on education with only Lauren on my mind, but I hadn't become delusional. I was well aware that I wouldn't graduate with flying colors without investing some time in learning, I didn't expect the future to work out for me somehow without hard work. But I had never really felt the pressure to succeed in school and get into a prestigious college, I didn't even know what I wanted to do later, job-wise.

The main reason for my lack of ambition was my wealthy background. Many would see it as an incentive, hoping to enlarge their fortune with a successful career, but I saw it as a curse. Weren't people pursuing high eduaction just to get a good paying job, which meant money in the end? Well, I had money, and now? It hadn't given me as much satisfaction as I had first thought, it hadn't lessened the problems. My fathers - gone, my innocence - gone, my ambitions - gone.

I was surprised at myself that I hadn't turned into an alcoholic or a junkie, sniffing lines of coke with rolled one-hundred-dollar bills. Thank God for my friends who had kept me on the ground, reminding me that I was doing no one a favor with me being a cokehead.

In other words, Kate and Nikki had once caught a dealer trying to sell me stuff at a party and I had been already drunk enough to entertain with the idea of buying it. Jacob had beaten up the dude and reported him to the police, Kate and Nikki had slapped the shit out of me, trying to get me sober again. It had been a scream-fest. The hangover had been painful enough to make me swear to them to never ever even consider doing hard drugs again.

As I was saying, I just didn't know what to do out of myself. I had no desire to bury my nose into school books, but at the same time, I didn't want to disappoint Lauren with my laziness. She was one of the best students around here, she got scholarships winking at her because she was the head cheerleader of a nationally ranked cheerleader team with seven won National's trophies in a row. Who didn't want such a perfect student? Not only exceedingly smart, but athletic, social and pretty, too. She was flawless. She might not agree, she might not understand what the big deal about her was - but that was exactly what made her flawless to me.