Chapter 15: Carnivals

"Tell me again why I agreed to this." I lowly hissed to Lauren and attempted to retreat a few steps, but Lauren grabbed me by my arm and yanked me forwards again. She pointedly glanced at Normani who was happily bouncing up and down, loudly cheering on Dinah as the Tongan tried her best at a high striker.

Yep, we were at a carnival. On a double date.

Wait, don't get me wrong, Lauren and I were only going as friends because her freaking boyfriend preferred playing Call of Duty with Matt on a Saturday instead of going on a proper date with her.

As Lauren didn't want to be the third wheel, she politely asked (forced) me to accompany her. She actually didn't want to go the carnival at all, but Normani wanted her to go with them and refusing Normani was just not an option. Because first, denying her anything was difficult by itself and second, you just didn't want to mess with a Dinah in love. It was fucking. Scary.

So, I found myself with the three girls at a carnival somewhere in Ohio. I had fallen asleep on the ride here and when I had woken up in Lauren's lap, the question of where we were seemed to be irrelevant.

"Yay, yay, yay!" Normani squealed and jumped up and down, waving with her imaginary pom-poms as Dinah almost managed to hit the best mark. "One more time!"

Dinah was panting heavily as she lifted up the hammer once more, preparing herself.

"Watch your pink fingernails." I snickered and got a light hit on my arm by Lauren.

Together, we both watched in awe how Dinah let out a furious roar and actually hit the bell, making it ring like crazy.

"And that's...how we do it." Dinah panted as she accepted her price, immediately turning around and opening her arms for Normani to let herself being engulfed into a bone-crashing hug. Both were doing a happy dance and giggling all the time, making everyone around them 'aw' at them. I gagged at them.

"So disgustingly cute." I mumbled and looked around for more entertaining booths.

"They're so happy." Lauren whispered next to me, still watching the new, lovey dovey couple with a lopsided smile.

"Dinah, I want cotton candy." Normani said, snuggling into her girlfriend.

"Sure." Dinah shortly replied, her cheeks glowing with happiness. She was positively beaming and to be honest, she looked so much more beautiful when she was smiling and I couldn't imagine her as the tough bitch at this moment.

"We're going to get cotton candy, see ya later bitches."

Forget what I said. She was still a bitch.

Lauren and I watched them skipping away, giggling and laughing all the way.

"I'm starting to regret my dumb decision to help Dinah get Normani back." I muttered, "She was much more bearable as her moody self."

"Come on." Lauren laughed and linked arms with me as we started walking with no particular goal in mind, passing dozens of booths and other attractions.

Carnivals had never been my thing. Sure, they were a good place for a first date, but this whole 'Everything is alright in the world as long as we got cotton candy'-athmosphere made me gag. The whole point of hosting a carnival was offering you the perfect opportunity to blow money on booths and games you'd never win. And on overpriced rides.

"Oh, look, a ferris wheel!" Lauren pointed out with a finger and my eyes followed her direction. She seemed quite excited about it, but all I could see was the freaking long waiting line in front of it. I wasn't in the mood for waiting an hour for a five to ten minutes ride.