Chapter 33: Halfback

"You sure you wanna do that?"

"Give me the helmet, Shawn."

I impatiently reached for the football helmet after I had put on the football jersey and readjusted the shoulder protection pads. My football outfit was almost complete.

He reluctantly handed it over to me before he pulled it back to himself again.

"You could get hurt, Mila. Why don't you let me do it, I've got a way harder body. No need for you to tackle him with your … small stature."

I indignantly 'psh'ed and ripped the helmet out of his hold, retorting, "I need the satisfaction of seeing him rolling in the dirt because of me."

Shawn still looked unconvinced as he adjusted the straps of his own helmet.

"I mean, I know it sounds stupid coming from me, but – don't you wanna try talking to him instead?"

I blankly stared at him and lowered the helmet I had intended to put on.

"Who are you and what have you done with Shawn Mendes?"

He loudly sighed and threw up his hands. "I worry 'bout you, 'kay? I know you're supposed to be my bro and everything, but right now, you're more like my little sister and I don't like seeing you getting knocked over by some giant."

He looked so adorable right now with his pouting that I just wanted to hug him, but I lightly punched him on the shoulder pad instead before I cringed and shook my hand.

"Thanks, that means very much to me," I genuinely said. "But this is the only way. Football has been Jack's territory for a long time and I need to beat him on his field if I want him to give up."

Shawn still pouted but now it looked more playful. "You know that I could get my ass kicked for smuggling you into our practice. Or even for lending you the uniform."

I grimaced. "I'd be more thankful if it didn't stink so much. Anyway, it's not like your Coach is gonna notice one more player."

For a crappy football team, they sure had a lot of football players and most of them were sitting on the bench anyway. The Titans made an impressive total of fourty players where half of them never got to play in important games. Which was all the time.

A loud yell that sounded more male than female errupted from the distance.

"Get your asses out on the field!"

Shawn shot me a look before he put on his helmet and closed the straps. "You ready?"

"Would it be cliché if I said I was born ready?"

When he blankly stared at me, I lauged and put on my helmet as well. Before I put in the mouthpiece, I pounded him on his shoulder again, this time with the palm of my hand and yelled, "Let's kick some fucking ass!"

"Fuck yeah!" He laughed and together, we jogged to where the rest of the football team was.

Hidden behind Shawn, I kept looking away or staring at the ground whenever Coach Jackson's eyes landed on me, and even when she was pretty clueless about the additional player in her team, the rest of her team wasn't.

I caught Dave staring at me with confusion and I sheepishly grinned at him. Still somewhat confused, he shrugged and turned his attention back to the football coach.

While Jackson was lecturing them on tactics and strategies, I squinted my eyes and tried to find the reason why I was even here.

There. Standing half-hidden behind Noah, Jack barely listened to the Coach, completely unmotivated now that he wasn't number one quarterback anymore.