The Beginnings of Katherina Lestique

(Written by _Mak_tt_ )
*Flashback to second year, January 9th, 1910*

She was always ever so quiet in class, feigning interest in conversation when she'd rather be spending time doodling in one of her many sketchbooks. She had bound them herself from old, worn pages in the back of her school books. She claimed that they looked more majestic that way, each page a different shade of weathered brown. None of the pages seemed to line up and she found that amusing, and used it as an analogy for life; not everything that crosses your path will be meant to stay, but just as some pages are the same length, some things accidental may end up being perfect. And as it was, that day she would find a page that lined up with the pages of her own story.

It was after potions, that she almost stepped on the small creature. Her eyes drifted to the floor an instant before her left foot would have crushed the green speck on the ground. It was a Bowtruckle, the creature she knew now by name thanks to her classmate. He had indirectly taught her of their existence when he had left his notes on his desk when class had ended one day. She was nosey, she could admit, and had read his short and rigid writings before delivering them back to him.

Her fingers reached down while her thoughts were swarming and plucked the Bowtruckle from the floor, smiling and cradling it as if it were the most precious thing in the world. It seemed to be resting. Before she could further analyze it, a hand clapped against her shoulder.

"Reena." She hated that nickname, it sickened her more than 'Kathy'. She turned and smiled sweetly at the boy who's hand was still firmly pressed against her shoulder.

"Adri." His smug smile was replaced by a wicked grimace. Sh could tell that he was trying very hard not to lash out at her. She corrected herself quickly, "Adrian. Hi."

His face contorted into a smile once again. It was like this most days anymore. She would make a minor mistake, he would become enraged, and the scene would end in disaster. She soon considered it normal.

"Do you have my homework?"

She looked startled. "I-you never gave it to me to finish for you?" Although it wasn't her fault, she felt guilty. She could never quite place why.

"It's alright." His fingers twirled her long strands of brown hair. Her lips puckered and her skin felt drier than the deserts of Dubai.

"It-it is?" He nodded and continued to play with her hair. It was never this calm when she forgot something. Or spoke out of line. Or looked the wrong direction.

"Go on to your dorm. I'll see you tomorrow morning." His words held no malice, yet she shivered and took a step away from him.

"Goodnight?"

"Goodnight."

She waited until his back was turned to sprint across the hall and into the other corridor. Her breathing was heavy and she knew that something was in store for her in the morning. Forgotten in her panic, the Bowtruckle had jostled awake in the pocket of her robes, where she had hastily stashed it at Adrian's arrival. Carefully she placed it in the palm of her hand, smiling down at it.

"Now what are you doing so far from home?"