Library hours

(Written by _Mak_tt_ )

*flashback 6th year*

It wasn't the lack of warmth that drove Katherina to hate the winter, it was the overabundance of it. People crowding the common room as if they were freezing, shoving past each other to reach the fireplace. She had no choice but to stay locked up in her room or else she'd have been squished. As it was, she found that reading from the quiet nestle of covers was more appealing than speaking to any of her housemates. They were all so...annoyingly loud and-

"Katherina?" She hadn't anticipated anyone coming and looking for her. For once, perhaps, someone had noticed her absence.

"Yes? Come in."

The small girl who tumbled through the doorway was Amelia Hartgood. Her family owned one of the largest sugar factories in London, though it was strange considering she hated anything sweet. Her deep brown hair was flung over her shoulders in a messy fashion, eyes wild and full of determination. She was a very busy girl, always striving to be the best in their house.

"I wondered if you'd like to study with me? We have exams coming up after the holidays, no one else really...well you're the only sensible person I could find." Her words were rushed, as if she had someplace to be. Katherina knew it was habit by now for the younger girl to fasten her pace.

"Of course, but it's a little too cramped in the common room. We could go to the library?" Amelia nodded her head.

And so the pair gathered up their things and headed to the library. Though it wasn't past hours, no one seemed to be there. Katherina checked the time.

"It's only 3 in the afternoon, why is everyone with their houses?" She shook her head. "Lazy, all of them."

"To be fair, we were just with ours as well." Amelia gave a sly smile and continued to a table. After dumping her stuff and scurrying off to find a certain book, Katherina set her stuff down as well. It occurred to her that she had left Treekey asleep in her room.

"Amelia?" She peaked her head around bookshelves in search of the other girl. "Amelia I have to go back for something. I'll be just a minute." When she was met with silence, she shifted uncomfortably on her feet and continued to the restricted section of the library. "Amelia?"

A family face popped out from behind a shelf, books stacked in his arms. "Oh, hello there!" He tried his best to wave while keeping steady the books on his arms. It was a failed attempt. Books scattered in all directions as he dropped to his knees to pick them up, clearly embarrassed.

"Hi, Newt." Katherina bent to help him, smiling softly at the blush creeping up his neck.  "How have you been?"

"I've been well, and you?"

She shrugged. "A little too crowded in the dorms for my taste but I've been alright. Have you seen Amelia?"

His look was one of confusion. "I'm sorry, who?"

"Amelia Hartgood. She's a Slytherin like myself, two years younger. She's got brown hair, about-" she motioned to her mid back. "-this long. She's supposed to be studying with me."

He shook his head. "Afraid I haven't seen anyone matching that description. I do have to go now, but it was nice seeing you. I'll be leaving for the holidays but..." his eyes drifted to the newly stacked books. "...I'll write you."

Katherina's face lit up. "That would be lovely. Now if you'll excuse me I need to find Amelia."

She stood and turned away, ready to continue in her search. "Oh, and Newt?"

"Hmm?"

"Why are you in the restricted section?"

If it were possible for his face to become even more red it would have. "I was just, oh you know, looking."

She smiled sweetly at him.
What a dork.